Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with motherboard/graphics card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 skragger

skragger

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

Hi I was wondering if someone could help me with some information.

Recently my computer is has been crashing alot with "Kernal mode driver has stopped responding and has recovered"

During gameplay and now its crashing while im just on desktop. Ive updated my drivers and rolled back to earlier ones and it still keeps crashing worser then ever.

An IT guy i spoke to says its cause my graphics card is at the end of its life and needs to be replaced.

I have a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 ti I want to replace it but also upgrade. The motherboard I use is a gigabyte ga-ha65m-ud3h-b3 motherboard.

I'm wondering whats the highest level graphics card I slot into that. I'd be grateful for any help thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:41 PM

I understand that you are sure the problem is a failing video card, but in actuality relatively few video cards actually fail. They do fail, yes that's true, but most people replace them because they cannot keep up with the modern games, not because they "break". I suggest that you test your memory, and then test your hard drive for failure. Error messages sometimes are not accurate. Case in point: just this month my computer started to crash with an NT Kernal error message, but it only crashed when I was playing a video, surfing Youtube, etc. not any time else which seemed to target my Nvidia card as the culprit. Long story short, it turned out to be one of my 1gig memory sticks suddenly went south. I replaced it and no more problems.

Just a thought before you spend a lot of money and possibly end up with the same problem.

Edited by ranchhand_, 13 July 2016 - 10:42 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 skragger

skragger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the tip Ranch hand. I ran memory and hard drive tests. No problems found. Can anyone recommend a new graphics card to suit this motherboard please?

Edited by skragger, 14 July 2016 - 02:16 AM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the tip Ranch hand. I ran memory and hard drive tests. No problems found. Can anyone recommend a new graphics card to suit this motherboard please?

CPU?

RX 480 Custom is good choice when available.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:29 AM

Get a copy of HWMonitor and check your temperatures ( http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html ) A problem I see regularly is that the GPU's cooling has gotten a lot dirtier than you might realize and, most of the time, you can't see it unless you take the card out.
Passmark is a great resource for benchmarking numbers and will let you find the "most bang for your buck"
Your card benchmarks at 3111.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Check out the GTX 970:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+970&id=2954
P.S. Almost any card will work in your PC as long as you pay attention to your power supply.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:49 AM

Passmark is a great resource for benchmarking numbers and will let you find the "most bang for your buck"
Your card benchmarks at 3111.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
Check out the GTX 970:
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+970&id=2954
P.S. Almost any card will work in your PC as long as you pay attention to your power supply.

Passmark is about worst possible resource for checking video card performance. It's simply outdated. For example R9 380 is without any questions faster than GTX 960, but Passmark says it's not. GTX 960 even beats R9 380X.

Looking at Nvidia vs Nvidia, GTX 1080 is 10% faster than GTX 980 Ti :axe:

That piece of crap should be taken out of net immediately.

On topic, it's quite impossible to recommend 3.5GB GTX 970. RX 480 is faster, has over double memory and much better architecture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users