Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on, then nothing.

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

Specs: Dell Studio 540 desktop, about 7 years old, 6 GB Ram, Windows 7 Professional, two hard drives, one for the OS and programs, the other for my data (all data backed up), 430w power supply, dual monitors, ATI Radeon HD3600 Video Card.

Computer worked fine until it didn't. I leave the computer on 24/7 but power down the monitors when I'm not using it. I restart maybe once or twice a week to clear stuff or when I update.

This time I restarted the computer after adjusting settings on one of the monitors due to the other one having to go in for repairs.

The power light came on. The hard drive activity light came on for about 6 seconds then shut off and nothing else happened, though the power light stayed on until I turned it off. All the fans work and I can feel the hard drives vibrating (I already know that doesn't mean much). The monitor works (it's only a few months old) and the only thing is an image on the screen saying "No signal." But that stands to reason since the computer is not getting far enough to send one.

My knowledge level is (I suppose) intermediate. I have replaced power supplies and video cards without issues, set up routers and software, restored other computers when they crashed.

I found some troubleshooting guides online and have accomplished the following:

1 - I used a multi-tester to test the power supply voltage to all the plugs (I have the power supply manual with the specs) and all the voltages were to specs.

2 - I pulled the CMOS 3v battery (CR 2032) and tested it the multi-meter. It read 2.35v. Looked it up and learned that anything below 2.6v was bad. Bought new battery, tested out at 3+v, and installed it. No luck.

3 - I pulled the video card and the memory and reseated them. Still no luck.

At this point the online troubleshooting guides seem to be sending me around in circles so I'm hoping to get some advice here about what to do next.

If you think I should get a motherboard diagnostic (POST) card, please recommend one. There are a few on Amazon, reasonably priced and I get free shipping with my Prime membership.

On the lighter side, I have been talking about getting a new computer lately so maybe my computer decided to do a Bartlett Finchley on me.

Thanks all, for any help you can provide.

Edited by heavydude, 13 July 2016 - 06:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:38 PM

A motherboard diag card would be great

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Digit-Card-PC-Analyzer-Diagnostic-Motherboard-POST-Tester-Computer-PC-PCI-ISA-/371587980952?hash=item56845e9e98:g:ChEAAOSwQupXXM4i

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PCI-Interface-Diagnostic-LCD-Analyzer-Tester-Test-debug-Post-Card-for-Laptop-PC-/361064264515?hash=item54111b7343:g:cZoAAOSwEK9UJjB4

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

Can you access diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot?

#4 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

I think he can't

The power light came on. The hard drive activity light came on for about 6 seconds then shut off and nothing else happened

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

In the post the OP said it was the hard light that turned off put the power was on until the OP turned it off but I could be wrong.

The power light came on. The hard drive activity light came on for about 6 seconds then shut off and nothing else happened, though the power light stayed on until I turned it off

#6 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

The monitor works (it's only a few months old) and the only thing is an image on the screen saying "No signal." But that stands to reason since the computer is not getting far enough to send one.

See? he says his computer dos'nt even post

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:28 PM

Unplug/unseat all of the components from the motherboard including the RAM, just leave the power supply connected. Then turn it on. If you get beeps you know something you have disconnected is causing the issue, add them back one at a time until the issue occurs again.

If you get no beeps your motherboard is fried.

#8 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:56 PM

Tried that. Nothing.

#9 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:03 PM

are you able to buy the diag cards i told you?

#10 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:08 PM

Unplug/unseat all of the components from the motherboard including the RAM, just leave the power supply connected. Then turn it on. If you get beeps you know something you have disconnected is causing the issue, add them back one at a time until the issue occurs again.

I'll try that and come back later with a report.

Yes, will do that tonight and should have one in a few days.

I'll try that and come back later with a report.

Yes, will do that tonight and should have one in a few days. I'm guessing that I'll have to remove the video card to put one of those in to the long PCI slot? Right?

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:16 PM

Unless you are physically able to repair the motherboard (very good with electronics) having a diag card will not help at all.

It either works or it doesn't.

#12 heavydude

heavydude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:30 PM

Unplug/unseat all of the components from the motherboard including the RAM, just leave the power supply connected.

When you say "all" do you mean all the little plugs, too? There's about 10 of them, including one from the CPU fan.

#13 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

Unplug/unseat all of the components from the motherboard including the RAM, just leave the power supply connected.

When you say "all" do you mean all the little plugs, too? There's about 10 of them, including one from the CPU fan.

He is saying everything except power to the motherboard and see if it beeps

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:26 PM

No, not the little plugs or fans, they won't cause your sort of issues. Just the hdd's, video cards, ram, sound cards, usb devices, serial devices, etc... any hardware that's not directly the motherboard.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:27 PM

Basically anything that can transfer data or have an error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users