Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Windows Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 crystalm36

crystalm36

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

I was considering downloading and using the Windows Security Essentials for my antivirus. Does anyone else use this and if they do, do you like it? And is there anything else I should consider downloading and using along side of it? I am looking for the best free versions. Money is very limited for me at this time.

Thanks for you help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

What operating system are you using?

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates.

IMO Microsoft Security Essentials is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups.

Although Microsoft Security Essentials provides some anti-malware protection...it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications. Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:15 PM

I am using Windows 7, with that in mind will you or can you suggest a good free anti malware to run alongside it?

o and one more thing, I believe when I installed this it said something about a firewall. Do you know how I can check to see if I have a firewall enabled?

Thanks!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Windows built-in Firewall will protect you as well as any paid for products without having to learn how to use and configure advanced settings. Windows Firewall runs in the background and provides automatic protection without the user having to do anything. If you never used another Firewall, it should be turned on...Check your Windows 7 Firewall settingsI generally recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as the backbone to supplementing anti-virus software. Although if you use Emsisoft Anti-Malware, it is not necessary to use a separate antivirus solution since EAM combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus. See my comments at the bottom of Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why.

I recommending adding an anti-exploit tool to protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:42 PM

Three free antvirus solutions have continued to be at the top of the list for the last 2 years. I just checked last months test and they still remain.

Avast 2016

AVG

Bitdefender Free

MSE works just fine, though why settle for less when you can have the best.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Let's not forget about Sophos Home Free Antivirus...it hasn't been around as long but it's popularity is growing.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Here's the latest "real-world" test results from av-comparatives.org.

2q83pu0.jpg

and from 3 months ago

97uzd1.jpg

when we look at a year ago it starts to give some perpective

2woki1i.jpg

Watching these trends over the years/month to month, imho the 3 companies I listed are always vying for the top spot with free solutions Whilst Kaspersky and Trend Micro maintain the top places in terms of paid protection. Sadly Trend's interface and update systems I found hard to work with (flawed and illogical) so I've been using Kaspersky for the last couple of years.

#8 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

Wow thank you both for such useful information! I used AVG and Avast in the past, they slowed down my pc considerably. But that was years ago, that's the only reason why I haven't tried them again. We use kaspersky at our work and it does a really good job. You really do get what you pay for or what you don't pay for!

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

Last time I used a free AV I tried Bitdefender. I found it was resource light and maintenance free. One should sign in and create the free account though, it will stop the nag bubble.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

Keep in mind that an offer of free anti-virus or anti-malware software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version.

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads.

Also keep in mind that many anti-virus vendors are bundling toolbars and other software with their products as a cost recoup measure and revenue generator. In fact, all free Anti-virus programs now come with toolbars or other bundled software (and annoying prompts to upgrade) except Bitdefender Free, Sophos Home, Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 8/10 Defender.

#11 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

Say I choose Bit defender, would it be ok to run the free version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware? I may have read your comment wrong above but it sounded like I didn't have to run an antivirus if I used Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Just trying to clarify what you said.

#12 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Is Bitdefender considered an online scanner or is it an antivirus program like mcafee or norton? Reason why I ask is that I noticed in this list that it is listed as an online scanner

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is an antivirus platform that includes anti-malware protection. Emsisoft combines its technology with Bitdefender Anti-Virus.

Emsisofts dual-engine scanner Behind the scenes

Two engines find more than one

Emsisoft relies on hybrid technology. The scanner uses two complete scan components to ensure the best detection possible...The first engine (E1) is a creation of Emsisofts, the second one (E2) has been in use since we released Emsisoft Anti-Malware 7.0 and Emergency Kit 3.0 and comes from BitDefender.

If you use EAM, you do not need to install Bitdefender.

#14 crystalm36

crystalm36
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:04 PM

Ok I did understand you right then. Do you happen to know if Emsisoft Anti-Malware has a free version?

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

Not that I know of, maybe someone else?

Malwarebytes Anti Malware is a good free alternative that won't interfere with your AV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users