Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Poweredge 1800, RAID, SCSI Controller

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:55 PM

Hello,

We have a server here that was running on Win Server 2003. We have a RAID 5 configuration with three physical drives. I ejected each drive to see what type of drive they were, and snapped them back in, and now I have two recurring issues during startup:

1) Attached is the screenshot of the error message.  It shows that the logical drive is failed but all three physical drives are in the system but they do show up with amber lights.

2) The other message shows the SCSI controller keep spinning but it does not go past it in the boot up. I have only had that error message once in my diagnosis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: 

Attached Files

Edited by walkfacefirst, 13 July 2016 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:37 PM

I take it you are new to raid systems. Did you remove the drives while the system was live?

What the PERC controller is telling you there was one logical volume [the results of the format of the raid5 array [array=3 disks]] and that volume has failed. 

Its telling you to press control m and enter the configuration bios.

I believe what the message is telling you is that the bios sees the drives and knows there should be a volume there but there is nothing on the drives to tell it that.

By going into the bios you may be able to repair the volume. Note:Do not create a new volume or you will lose all information on the array.

This may or may not get your server/data back.  Be prepared to do a full bare metal restore of the latest backup to the server.

Edited by Wand3r3r, 13 July 2016 - 10:38 PM.

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:57 PM

Hello,

We have a server here that was running on Win Server 2003. We have a RAID 5 configuration with three physical drives. I ejected each drive to see what type of drive they were, and snapped them back in, and now I have two recurring issues during startup:

1) Attached is the screenshot of the error message.  It shows that the logical drive is failed but all three physical drives are in the system but they do show up with amber lights.

2) The other message shows the SCSI controller keep spinning but it does not go past it in the boot up. I have only had that error message once in my diagnosis.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update: 

I guess you learnt the hard way that you cannot eject each disk one after another until the raid array has rebuilt.

You should have ejected one, waited for the whole raid to complete and then ejected number 2 drive and then waited for the raid to rebuild etc etc.

By doing them one after another with out time to rebuild you are screwed mate.

#4 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 PM

Is my best bet to reformat the drives and start over since the data can be wiped out? What is the process of getting the os backup and running?

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:37 AM

afraid to say mate but if you have damaged the raid array there is no going back unless the raid has been exported of which i highly doubt.

Unless you have a full system image of the server then you would have to rebuild / recreate the raid array and then create a new volume and load windows again and start from scratch mate.

i hope you havnt destroyed everything because if so then i feel sorry for you mate LOL.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:20 AM

Rules of RAID recovery

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#7 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

I take it you are new to raid systems. Did you remove the drives while the system was live?

What the PERC controller is telling you there was one logical volume [the results of the format of the raid5 array [array=3 disks]] and that volume has failed. 

Its telling you to press control m and enter the configuration bios.

I believe what the message is telling you is that the bios sees the drives and knows there should be a volume there but there is nothing on the drives to tell it that.

By going into the bios you may be able to repair the volume. Note:Do not create a new volume or you will lose all information on the array.

This may or may not get your server/data back.  Be prepared to do a full bare metal restore of the latest backup to the server.

What can be done in the BIOs to repair the volume? I have not created a new volume yet but it does show that all the hard drives have a fail next to each drive.

#8 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Surprising enough, I was able to redo the configuration for the RAID and now I am totally back up. My next question is the Dell Poweredge 1800 has Windows Server 2003 Small Business Server installed and I would like to convert it to Win Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, what is the best way to convert this without too many issues? The data can be wiped out since it is now being backed up.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:35 AM

"You should have ejected one, waited for the whole raid to complete and then ejected number 2 drive"

That can't happens since there is not a hot spare drive available.  Nothing to failover to.

There is no conversion between the two server OS's.  Unclear why you want to go to enterprise since it doesn't have email or the SBS features.  You will need to buy those separately.

You are also running on 10+ old hardware.  You have no fault tolerance in the system or in AD.  Give serious consideration of new hardware and min of two servers if you don't want to be on the edge of total disaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users