Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, Recover Deleted File Through Network Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Max (SD)

Max (SD)

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Hello,

Hope someone can assist me.

My wife was transfering filed from her desktop to her laptop via network connection and shared "My Computer" folders. She was working on her latop and thought she was viewing already transferred files on her laptop, when in realty she was still viewing her shared connection to her desktop. She began to delete some folders and files all word documents.

If we can, how do we recover these deleted files. I have checked with trash can on both systems and deleted files and folders are not there.

I looked up in the Microsoft file recovery tutorial and it specifically says that files deleted through a network connection are not recoverable. These files and folders must be sitting in some cache. Where are they and how can I get to them.

Your help is welcomed, apprecaited and needed.

Max

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

See if the following might help.
The author of the article on this site is a noted and well respected computer authority:

Langa Letter: Deep-Geek Tools For File Recovery
http://www.smallbizpipeline.com/180201556

Also see "Simple, Free Undelete" here:
http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-08-05.htm#4

Also here:
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showA...cleID=180203319

#3 Max (SD)

Max (SD)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the links. I downloaded the Restoration freeware but was unable to locate the missing files and folder. I looked on both, laptop and desktop, but nothing. Any further assistance would be appreciated.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Did you check in hidden files and folders?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:38 AM

Recovering files can be extraordinarily difficult. That's why professionals who do it charge huge amounts of money.

You may have some success with one of the Hex Editors Langa discusses, but if the files have been overwritten freeware will not be enough to accomplish recovery and if the files are valuable enough you may want to contact a professional.

#6 AltSupport

AltSupport

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:21 AM

I have had great success with File Scavenger. It is well worth the $50, you might be able to use the trial long enough to recover the file.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users