Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how can i tell if a montherboard damaged after a power outage or power surge?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 yunion

yunion

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:58 PM

i ask because like an hour ago the power went out im not sure if it was an outage or surge i would think outage as i saw no lightning but there was a storm with no light i only heard light thunder and there was rain while the power was gone i unplugged the computer and the monitor then when the power came back on i hurriedly plugged in the computer and turned it back on and checked as much as i could everything seemed fine except the motherboard temperature seems off it is normally at 23c now its at 25c and the temperature does not change but that seems to the only problem and i used speccy to get the temperatures and i ran sfc scannow

should i be concerned about this?

Edited by yunion, 13 July 2016 - 01:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:20 PM

Trust me, if you had issues with a fried board, a 2 degree increase in temperature would be the least of your problems. 2 degrees is nothing to worry about.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:23 PM

Trust me, if you had issues with a fried board, a 2 degree increase in temperature would be the least of your problems. 2 degrees is nothing to worry about.

Agreed.

if your board was fried it wouldn't come on at all, so the fact that it does is already a good sign, and that 2 degrees, it might change it's self back, (could be a fail-safe) 

but id check for blown capacitors on the mobo, if there are, then I'd replace the caps or the whole mobo.

if not, you're most likely fine.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

but id check for blown capacitors on the mobo, if there are, then I'd replace the caps or the whole mobo.

Wouldn't have even come on if there was blown caps. Even if it did then there would inherently be a whole lot more noticeably wrong then the 2 degrees.

But good thing to check for after a storm or power surge for sure! Just to be safe.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

Wouldn't have even come on if there was blown caps. Even if it did then there would inherently be a whole lot more noticeably wrong then the 2 degrees.

But good thing to check for after a storm or power surge for sure! Just to be safe.

That's exactly why i said that, "just to be safe".
:)

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#6 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

i just started gaming i noticed the temperatures are higher than normal for the gpu and cpu the gpu wants to go to 60c and the cpu wants to go 50c possibly higher also i checked the compacitors and they all look fine

Edited by yunion, 13 July 2016 - 08:45 PM.

#7 ATY

ATY

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

i just started gaming i noticed the temperatures are higher than normal for the gpu and cpu the gpu wants to go to 60c and the cpu wants to go 50c possibly higher also i checked the compacitors and they all look fine

Yunion, your temperatures is fine, don't be so paranoid. As long your CPU and GPU below 85C max load than you are fine. You should be paranoid if either CPU and GPU reach 85C because that is super hot and not good for long term uses. Heats can degrade the hardware lifespans. 

Edited by ATY, 13 July 2016 - 08:49 PM.

#8 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

okay

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yunion, your temperatures is fine, don't be so paranoid. As long your CPU and GPU below 85C max load than you are fine. You should be paranoid if either CPU and GPU reach 85C because that is super hot and not good for long term uses. Heats can degrade the hardware lifespans. 

Exactly. 50c and 60c are pretty normal operating temps when stressing the system. If you start noticing 85+ on a consistent basis, that is when you have issues.

#10 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:03 PM

also to avoid the power outage or power surge would a surge protector protect me from power outages and power surges are ups systems really the only way to protect against power outages?

Edited by yunion, 15 July 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

See my post #6 and mjd420nova's #7 in this topic -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/619678/looking-for-uninterrupted-power-supplies-ups/

Chris Cosgrove

#12 yunion

yunion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 02:54 AM

well the gpu is now at 54c idle

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:02 AM

also to avoid the power outage or power surge would a surge protector protect me from power outages and power surges are ups systems really the only way to protect against power outages?

A UPS is not necessary unless you need to save data and shut down properly. Typically needed in a server, or development work environment. A surge protector is absolutely needed if you want to protect your electronics. The surge protector is a sacrificial lamb for your electronics. A surge protector protects electronics only. So don't get surge protection confused with shock/arc protection. Those are completely different things.

Edited by technonymous, 16 July 2016 - 05:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users