Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I use a Windows 7 key to install Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cgl custom computers

cgl custom computers

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:31 PM

I have a computer that was built with Windows 7

It upgraded itself about a month ago to Windows 10

Now I am getting a hard drive error and it looks like the hard drive has failed.

So if I get a new Hard drive should I install Windows 7 or Windows 10?

I have the Key for Windows 7

as well disk for both Windows 7 ,10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:43 PM

Yes, you can use a Windows 7 number for Windows 10. but the number has to correspond to the version, eg, Win 10 pro can take a Win 7 Pro number.

I've done it myself many times. :)

and windows 7 has roughly 3-4 more years of support left for it, windows 10 is fairly new, but that is a personal choice.

I'd say go with10 just because you will eventually have to.

(unless Linux)

Edited by Viper_Security, 13 July 2016 - 12:44 PM.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:52 PM

Install the same Windows 10 Edition and skip the key if you get a prompt for that, Windows will auto activate using the Microsoft servers when it gain access to the internet.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:24 PM

Like @SleepyDude said, you don't need to use the key anymore. Just install Windows 10. Your computer has the digital entitlement, so when installing, click Skip the Product Key, and install as usual. When you connect your computer to the internet, it will be activated :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

Like @SleepyDude said, you don't need to use the key anymore. Just install Windows 10. Your computer has the digital entitlement, so when installing, click Skip the Product Key, and install as usual. When you connect your computer to the internet, it will be activated :)

-CKing

People keep forgetting that you only have the digital entitlement IF you upgraded or had a window 8-8.1 machine were the Product key was embedded in the  UEFI/BIOS.

if you are starting clean you CAN use a WIN 7 Number.

Edited by Viper_Security, 13 July 2016 - 02:42 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:42 PM

The OP upgraded to Windows 10, and the hard disk failed afterwards. Changing hard disk doesn't matter, but if the motherboard gets fried and has to be replaced, then you would have to call Microsoft.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#7 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

The OP upgraded to Windows 10, and the hard disk failed afterwards. Changing hard disk doesn't matter, but if the motherboard gets fried and has to be replaced, then you would have to call Microsoft.

Correction: it DOES matter if the HDD failed, either Short or Long DST tests. if it fails either, Replace the HDD.

hQBT2G3.png

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:47 PM

Whoops, I was talking about the activation issues. You can change HD, GPU, and some other things and Windows 10 will still activate fine

Github | Keybase

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

People keep forgetting that you only have the digital entitlement IF you upgraded or had a window 8-8.1 machine were the Product key was embedded in the  UEFI/BIOS.

if you are starting clean you CAN use a WIN 7 Number.

The OP already used the right to the free Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, this information is recorded on the Microsoft activations server this allow the Windows 10 reinstallation and auto activation.

Yes, on recent Windows 10 versions it can be activated using the Windows 7/8 key.

About the hardware, the activation isn't lost if you change only 3 components like graphic card, network card, HDD. Changing the motherboard will request a new windows activation...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 cgl custom computers

cgl custom computers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Thanks Everyone for all the info!!

#11 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

I have a computer that was built with Windows 7
It upgraded itself about a month ago to Windows 10

Now I am getting a hard drive error and it looks like the hard drive has failed.

So if I get a new Hard drive should I install Windows 7 or Windows 10?

I have the Key for Windows 7
as well disk for both Windows 7 ,10?

@cgl custom computers

​From Microsoft

Activating after reinstalling Windows 10
How you activate Windows 10 after reinstalling it depends on how Windows 10 was originally installed on your device.
If you activated a free upgrade to Windows 10 or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Windows Store, you have a digital entitlement for your device. This means you can reinstall the same edition of Windows 10 that your device has a digital entitlement for without entering a product key. During reinstallation, if you’re asked to enter a product key, select Skip. Windows 10 will automatically activate online after the installation is complete.
If you previously installed and activated Windows 10 using a product key, you’ll need to enter the product key during reinstallation.
Notes
Before you reinstall Windows 10 make sure that your current version of Windows is activated. Select the Start  button, then select Settings > Update & security > Activation. If Windows 10 isn’t activated on your device, see Get help with Windows 10 activation errors for more info.
For more info about how to create installation media for Windows 10, go to the Microsoft software download website. When creating installation media, make sure to choose the edition of Windows 10 that matches the edition that’s already installed on your device.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

You don't have to start again with Windows 7 if you have an ISO.

Visit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To obtain an ISO.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards

Old Rocker

#12 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

Probably the question is resolved, but let it is still once all together. Maybe it is necessary.

During the free upgrade, you can use a valid Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher). 

The following types of product keys are supported:
  • Product keys included in the packaging or the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached to your PC that came installed with Windows.
  • Product keys included in the confirmation email you received after buying Windows from an online retailer.
  • Product keys included in the box the Windows DVD came in.
  • Product keys you bought using Windows Anytime Upgrade or Get Genuine Windows.
  • If you bought a Windows 8.1 Pro Pack product key, you can use it to activate Windows 10 Pro.
Just use the key after install is finished. 
Or when your system is an official oem system with oem:dm bioskey it will use that key by itself (at least till the 29th of this month).

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:09 AM

Just a comment - when installing (and wanting the digital entitlement to activate the OS).

The first request for the product key can be skipped.

The second request usually requires that you click on "Do it later" - which, IMO, is rather hard to find.

After that, as long as you're connected to the internet (and presuming that you do have the digital entitlement) then the activation will occur without you doing anything.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 SoftwareKeepCA

SoftwareKeepCA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

The answer is "yes" as everyone answered. You can use windows 7 key for window 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users