Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help, full phone storage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DarUrjakar_Jahkrhan

DarUrjakar_Jahkrhan

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

Just got a pre-owned HTC Desire 500.
After making a FULL RESET I connected it to my PC and found the phone storage almost full.
I deleted what I could but it is still full, I displayed the hidden files but but still its not them filling it.

V2b6RfH.png

hd41p1Q.png

wqgWAnm.png

LGZUwgd.png

Please somebody help, I can't update built-in apps like facebook because there's insufficient space.

The 2.94gb of "other" is probably what's occupying the rest of the space.

All of the visible files are only few megabytes and I did turn on hidden files and system files but still can't see anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

If it was just reset, tap the Other entry and see what's there. Delete whatever you can.

Since most of the rest of it is so little (a bit of music and some pictures have been added) it looks like either something didn't get erased at reset or it was synced back to the phone when you set it up. I'd take a look in Settings>Accounts>Google (or however it's set up on your phone) to turn off any unneeded syncing if you find that 2.94GB used was added on that way.

I turn off most syncing on the phone anyway because I have a tablet that I use more than the phone. Mostly just contacts, settings and apps get synced.

You can always try rooting, too, and get rid of bloatware. That would also allow you 2 use something like link2sd so that installed apps could be moved to an sd card partition (not all, but many can be).

#3 DarUrjakar_Jahkrhan

DarUrjakar_Jahkrhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

The accounts are okay, can't tap "other". They're just some big hidden files in there

#4 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

My tablet and phone both allow me to see what's in that (they call it different names, but it's the same thing). While there's some hidden stuff there, a lot of it isn't. It seems to be an awful lot of space, though, for just dofiles and dot directories.

I should have asked this in the first place. Does the phone have an SD card already installed? If not try putting one in and see what if anything you can move to that. The phone can handle up to 64G (from what I read), but even an 8G card should be more than enough to give you some wiggle room.

I've never used the phone, but I find others saying they were able to move things from the phone to a card to give them enough space to operate. Not sure in they already had a file manager, had to install one, or the device gives a means to do that. But it may mean you'll need to uninstall a couple of things to make room for a light file manager to move pictures or other files before putting those other apps back on.

Nevermind. I just looked at the picture again and see an SD card.

Back to thinking about it.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users