Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running erratically, lagging, wifi inconsistent

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott3232

Scott3232

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 10 (it was an upgrade from Windows 7).  I generally use Google Chrome for my browsing.  I connect to the Internet with a Netgear wireless router.  I'm having a few problems:

1) The router seems to drop intermittently throughout the day.  The only way to get it to reconnect is to pull it out of the USB slot and reinsert it and it reconnects.  It's a real pain.  I do not have an ethernet hook up available.  I have 2 USB inputs on the front of my computer.  One has the WiFi adapter at all times; I switch things in and out of the other one periodically.  When I pull out whatever USB cable is plugged in to the one next to the WiFi adapter it always seems to cause the internet to drop.  

2) I get page unresponsive warnings associated with Shockwave.  I only have the Chrome version enabled.

3) Sometimes the computer hangs up and gets very laggy.  It almost feels like the resources (perhaps memory) are getting sucked up by something.

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't want to get a new computer if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

1. This sounds like the USB ports on the front are breaking. Try using a USB extender and plug it into the back of the computer.

2. Do you have the latest shockwave installed? Does it work here?

3. When does this happen most? Right after booting up? When gaming? Checking email? Any pop ups or signs of malware?

#3 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

1. I'll get an extender if all else fails.

2. I thought Adobe's Shockwave was supposed to be disabled if I was using Google Chrome as my browser...?

3. It happens right after booting up, when I pull out a USB cable, and intermittently throughout the day.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

2. I think your thinking of java? Are you getting the error only on pages with shockwave on them?

3. Even a USB from the back?

#5 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:16 PM

YES!  I'm thinking of Java...  I went to that link and I didn't see the animation (all it did was download a small file called dir that failed to load when I tried to open it.  I download the new Shockwave and the same thing happened.  Pretty sure I just downloaded the latest version though...

I'm not sure about the USB's in the back...  I never remove them and they seem to be working properly.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:50 PM

I got the same thing when I tried, but I thought thats because I didn't have shockwave installed(on purpose). Turns out shockwave "should" work in chrome, but it's a known bug. Either way, I don't think that is directly related to your issue unless you are getting the shockwave error on pages you wouldn't typically think would use shockwave. Do you have some examples?

Next time the problem happens, instead of unplugging the wireless adapter, try disabling it in windows, and then enabling it, and see if that also fixes it. It's possible that the resetting of the driver you get when disco/reco of the USB is what is fixing the issue, not the USB itself. If not, then next step is to try the wireless adapter on a back port.

As for your PC being slow, does it happen even if you unplug the adapter and use the computer to do something offline? Word processing? Photoshop? Playing a offline game(rare these days XD)?

Edited by Trikein, 13 July 2016 - 02:56 PM.

#7 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:54 PM

I haven't tried anything with the adapter offline.  Usually I'm doing stuff on the internet so I need to be online at all times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users