Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Share Dsl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rjswyn

rjswyn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hi there. New here and must say I have little knowledge of anything here so type slowly. I recently bought a new computer and put the other (Dell, 2003) in my daughters room. We have Roadrunner through Time Warner. I want to share it. That is all I want, to share the internet. First question: is that possible? I read a post about PPPOE accounts (no clue) and that we couldn't be on the internet at the same time. If that is the case, I don't even want to attempt this. My goal was to get her off mine. Second question: I was told to buy a wireless router to connect to the modem and a Wireless Desktp Card for my daughters computer. Is this right? I bought them but am nervous. How hard will this be? Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:35 PM

Hi riswyn.

I set up a wireless network here at home which I allow 2 other users to connect to, so if I can do it, it can't be too difficult. Before getting into specifics, which I will leave to other knowledgable gurus here, I would suggest you check out the general principles here: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network1.htm. Read up on any info that came with the gear you bought, and if you need more help just post back with your problem. Plz let us know how you get on.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

The wireless card you got for your daughter's computer I will assume it is a PCI card? If I am correct what you will have to do is open the case up (Often a few screws on the back of the case), then you will have to ground yourself. One way is to touch a grounded object :thumbsup: or touch a metal part of your psu and/or case. Then you will need to locate an available PCI slot. If my memory serves me right that dell your be an ATX form factor so the PCI Slots will be at the bottom right. If Dell started using the BTX form factor then they will be at the bottom right. They are white slots. Take the card out of it's protective bag carefulle and don't touch anything that is gold and/or shiny. Remove the metal cover over the expansion slot opening. Insert the card into the slot and give a slight pressure untill it is well seated. Now power up the computer (BTW I hope you turned it off before starting and unpluged it) and install the drivers (the cd that came with the card.

Now for the router I will suppose that you have a cable modem with an ethernet cable doing to your computer. What you will need to do is disconnect this cable from your computer and insert into the WAN port (hole...) in the router. Then you can take a wire from the first port and plug that into your main computer. You will then use this computer to set up the router according to the manual.

Here is something I found at the Time Warner website.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/p...networking.html

Also here are some nice videos on how to do this from Cnet.
http://www.timewarnercable.com/corporate/p...networking.html
It has nice videos showing you all the little things like what a PCI Slot looks like ect...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users