Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Domain Name Problem?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:28 AM

So I was looking for a hoster that I can use for a custom domain name for my blogspot website. I paid recently a hoster but apparantly the DNS Settings that I needed to access are 'additional' features without whom which I cannot access said domain to configure for it to work as a custom domain name for my blogspot.

Did I got dupe or how does it suppose to work? Does purchasing a domain name from a site warrant access to DNS settings usually or??

I think I just wasted money because it costed me about 18USD to get the domain name now I to spent another 50USD to get the 'option'. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

Purchasing the domain name gets you the domain name.
That will need to be renewed every year.
Sounds like you need a hosting plan.
You will also need a blog platform.
I use drfixup.com to get WordPress blog hosting and platform.

It's like 6 bucks a month.
Alternatively you may be able to find free hosting then point your domain name to it.
Also to note the domain name you purchased may have included a free email that you can have a custom email with your domain name.

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Do they include any access to DNS? All you need to do is get the NS (DNS) file changed for the domain, to point to who ever you want to use for DNS. See here for instructions for most companies.

#4 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Purchasing the domain name gets you the domain name.
That will need to be renewed every year.
Sounds like you need a hosting plan.
You will also need a blog platform.
I use drfixup.com to get WordPress blog hosting and platform.

It's like 6 bucks a month.
Alternatively you may be able to find free hosting then point your domain name to it.
Also to note the domain name you purchased may have included a free email that you can have a custom email with your domain name.

Exactly, I am using blogspot(free hosting) but I can't use it because the settings are inaccessible as I need to purchase another new 'plan'/'package' for it which costs me more money.

Do they include any access to DNS? All you need to do is get the NS (DNS) file changed for the domain, to point to who ever you want to use for DNS. See here for instructions for most companies.

It doesn't, I thought it did. They told me to get another option that would get me access to the DNS settings which means more money. There's no way to use my domain name on blogspot like this if they don't give me access to the DNS settings because blogspot needs that thing to 'verify'. 

I only have access to Nameservers. 

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

"I only have access to Nameservers. "

Thats all you need. You don't need to pay them to use their nameservers if they allow you change which nameservers are assigned to the domain. Who did you have in mind for DNS services? 

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

Spoiler
I think I just wasted money because it costed me about 18USD to get the domain name now I to spent another 50USD to get the 'option'. 

You can use it for everything, and even for blogspot, only you should know, how to do it. Everything works perfectly.
At first You must know, what is domain, what is domain name, what is DNS server, what is nameserver, what means to trasfer domain, what means site hosting, what means domain hosting, what means parked domain, what means domain redirection, what means subdomain etc and how to use all this.
Personally use for blogspot, for several websites and forums.
Good luck.

Edited by kaljukass, 13 July 2016 - 11:16 AM.

#7 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:22 PM

"I only have access to Nameservers. "

Thats all you need. You don't need to pay them to use their nameservers if they allow you change which nameservers are assigned to the domain. Who did you have in mind for DNS services? 

I was thinking I needed access to my domain's DNS editor so I can follow this guide that many people use  to redirect said domain to blogspot. It requires to change the Google IPs and CNAME records. I thought the DNS Editor was already suppose to be a package together with Domain name because it needs it to redirect to websites? Even the site host that has a knowledgebase is telling me to use 'advance DNS editor' which clearly I don't have access to and they are telling me to get another package for 40 USD. 

Just to be clear, name servers are the the 5 options you can choose as nameservers right? 

Spoiler

You can use it for everything, and even for blogspot, only you should know, how to do it. Everything works perfectly.
At first You must know, what is domain, what is domain name, what is DNS server, what is nameserver, what means to trasfer domain, what means site hosting, what means domain hosting, what means parked domain, what means domain redirection, what means subdomain etc and how to use all this.
Personally use for blogspot, for several websites and forums.
Good luck.

Now I'm even more confused :lmao: 

I agree with the above, I am trying my best to solve this issue I will get back to you guys and see how I do.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

"I was thinking I needed access to my domain's DNS editor so I can follow this guide that many people use  to redirect said domain to blogspot. "

You do, eventually. Before you can edit the DNS, you first have to decide who's DNS you want to use. Who ever that company is will have DNS server names; ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. First log into who ever you bought your domain from and change the nameservers to ns1.example.com and ns2.example.com. Then log into example.com and use their DNS editor to make any changes you want. However, I am not sure what it means to change the "google IP". Can you link to this blog you're following?

Edited by Trikein, 13 July 2016 - 01:32 PM.

#9 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

http://www.shoutmeloud.com/setup-blogspot-custom-domain.html

#10 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:02 AM

The blog assumes you purchased the private domain and hosting through godaddy for 11/year.  I think there are two questions now; do you want to keep the domain with the company your purchased it from or transfer it to someone else, or if you want that company to just hold the domain, who do you want to do DNS? See this video for a break down of some of the options. Do you need help making the decision or do you prefer technical guidance after your choice?

#11 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

The blog assumes you purchased the private domain and hosting through godaddy for 11/year.  I think there are two questions now; do you want to keep the domain with the company your purchased it from or transfer it to someone else, or if you want that company to just hold the domain, who do you want to do DNS? See this video for a break down of some of the options. Do you need help making the decision or do you prefer technical guidance after your choice?

Thank you for your answers. I want to keep the domain name with the company I chose so I should ask them to do DNS so I should spend more money then to get access to my domain name for blogspot yes?  I transfer domain name to another website wouldn't that be a hassle?

I didn't know dns hosting was seperate as I thought they go two and two together because another site offered the same price including the DNS hosting.  

I just want to use my domain name for my blogspot website that is all. 

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

"so I should spend more money then to get access to my domain name for blogspot yes? "

Do you care that it cost more? If not, they yes, pay the money. You could find another DNS provider but I think that may be beyond your technical ability. 

Edited by Trikein, 14 July 2016 - 09:58 AM.

#13 Kolby-kun

Kolby-kun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

"so I should spend more money then to get access to my domain name for blogspot yes? "

Do you care that it cost more? If not, they yes, pay the money. You could find another DNS provider but I think that may be beyond your technical ability. 

Thank you and everyone else for helping me out. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users