Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Unexpectedly Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frustratedincanada

frustratedincanada

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Forgive me if this has already, and most likely been posted.

My windows xp spontaneously shuts down and restarts for no known reason. I can be surfing the net, using the calculator, or just plain doing nothing, and it shuts down with no warning.

I have disabled the auto restart and am gathering information on the file that is causing the problem. One file that was identified today was "ikhfile.sys".

And now I am at a total loss at to what to do next.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer Posted Image
You are presumably blue-screening, and your computer is set to reboot whenever that
happens.
Right-click My Computer/Properties.On the Advanced
tab,click Settings under Startup and Recovery. Under System failure,
uncheck the box "Automatically restart".
Now when the problem occurs again, instead of restarting, you will get the
blue screen with diagnostic information. Post back with those details for
more help.

Edited by TMacK, 12 August 2006 - 07:54 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 11,929 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:00 PM

found this on the web:

Your minidump crashes at ikhfile.sys. I believe this is the driver for Spyware doctor. vsdatant.sys and SYMEVENT.SYS are also referenced, these are Zonealarm and Symantec files. The owning process is Rtvscan.exe. This is another Symantec file.

Symantec/Norton crapware is know to cause problems on some systems, It also slows systems down because it`s a real resource hog. Zonealarm can also cause problems on some systems.

I recommend you uninstall Spyware doctor and see how your system runs. If you still have problems, then getting rid of Symantec/Norton and getting the free AVG antivirus from HERE may help. If that still doesn`t help, then uninstalling Zonealarm and installing the free Kerio Firewall from HERE may help.

I also advise you to check your system for viruses etc.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users