Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Consumers Need To Be Carefull When Holiday Shopping Online

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 12:19 PM

With the holidays fast approaching, many consumers are going online to shop for seasonal decorations, festive foods and gifts for relatives and friends. BY EILEEN ALT POWELL ASSOCIATED PRESS But just as there are dishonest brick-and-mortar retailers, so too are there disreputable Web merchants. There also have been rising reports of credit card fraud and identity theft to make consumers wary. Experts say some simple precautions can make online shopping about as safe as a trip to the mall. Houston lawyer Vincent I. Polley, who heads the American Bar Association's cyberspace law committee, said many of the same security rules apply online as well as off. His advice: "Shop with merchants you know. If an offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is. And don't give out any information online that you wouldn't give to a retail clerk in a store." Consumers should be especially careful in dealing with holiday offers e-mailed to them, Polley said. That's because of the big increase in "phishing," a scam in which con artists send out millions of e-mails trying to get unsuspecting consumers to divulge personal information that thieves can use.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 07 December 2004 - 02:22 PM

Ahh Makes me want to go shopping! LOL I shop online just bought a ram chip on ebay for me laptop! WOW it sped up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users