Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet seems to stall then go stall then go

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:54 AM

Just started today.

Here's my description of the issue:  whether I'm using email, facebook, or anything else internet related, it seems to stall for 3 or 4 seconds and then works again, stalls, then works again.

For example, when I'm typing, it stops working in mid sentence and I have to wait for typing to work again, and repeats every few seconds or so.  

Using my computer non-internet related work fine...I can view video files with no stalling, I can open files and folders, view documents, pictures and no stalling.  It's only when I browse the net, or use any application.

I checked my bandwidth speed....seems to be ok(?) it was around 40mbps up and down.  Ping was 44ms.   Not sure if that is good or bad.

I'm doing a malwarebytes scan right now just to see.  I guess I should try a reboot?  My adobe flash is up to date, java too i think...not sure what else could be causing this stalling.

Any ideas would be helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

Does it only effect typing or is it only caused by typing? Another words, if writing a email and it stalls, can you open a new tab or application or do you need to wait until it stops being frozen?

Also, when did this start happening? Any new software around then? Any pop ups or warning messages on reboot? What are results of malwarebytes scan?

#3 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:11 AM

It seems to affect other things too, other than typing.  For example, when opening a new tab, or clicking on a link to go to another page, it takes extra long.  So, no, not exclusive to only typing.   No new programs that I installed today.  Um, recently? The only thing I installed was GPU-Z to check my graphics card temperature....I'll attempt a reboot now and see if any message pops up.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:26 AM

What it happens, press CTRL+ALT+Delete and click task manager > processes and click on CPU and Memory to sort by those two things. Look for anything unusual showing up taking memory or processing power. If it's easier, try downloading, running, then posting the logs for Minitoolbox.

#5 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:52 AM

Just re-booted, tested it out for 15 minutes or so and I'm still getting the same issue.  It was actually doing okay for the first 10 minutes when I was in ebay, gmail, and doing stuff there.  But 5 minutes ago I went  into facebook, watched a few videos without any issues, but when I started to comment, it stalled 8 seconds or so and I couldn't type anything....loading pages, scrolling around also stalled and at times would say that "page is not responding..." message but I just choose "wait" instead of kill and it works again.   I'm actually not having any stalling issues as I'm typing this.  Maybe it's only happening or coming from facebook?

I checked task manager, cpu running at around 17% usage, 44% memory, nothing unusual or large memory being used up.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

Sounds like malware to me. Maybe something you got from a ad or game on facebook? What did malwarebytes turn up?

#7 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

so far it turned up nothing.  I'll keep it running.

#8 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

While I'm waiting for malwarebytes to finish (so far nothing found and I doubt anything will turn up), is there any other test I can run in safe mode maybe that might find anything?  It does seem like it's facebook related the more I keep using facebook now, it's stalling there whenever I type, click a new page, or move anywhere around, it stalls and freezes up for a seconds....it's doing it a lot.  But it seemed to affect things outside facebook after that...because it was stalling when I was typing in another forum.

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

So I assume it still happens in safe mode with networking? That says a lot. Try running  Minitoolbox. and post the logs. Also try downloading and trying a new browser, ie Chrome or Firefox. Norton Power Eraser  is also a free app that might also be worth a scan, but to be honest, malware removal is not my forte' so if it picks up anything, it may be best to have this thread moved to the malware forums.

If the malware tests don't show anything bad, and other browsers work, try resetting that browser. I can give more instructions once I know what browser your using.

#10 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:39 AM

I'm using Chrome.  I'll try using IE or Firefox and see if it still freezes up.

#11 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

I've been using Firefox now for the past 15 minutes on facebook and no issues anymore....no stalling or freezing up during typing or surfing.  It must be something with google chrome.

#12 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:04 AM

Try resetting chrome. See here.  Maybe CPU-Z had a chrome plugin that is crashing? 

#13 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Ok, I'll give that a try.

#14 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

Oh dammit, I deleted something called "person 1" because it looked suspicious.  Turns out I was person 1 and it deleted all my bookmarks and everything is gone!

#15 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

Did you have chrome synced to a gmail account? If so, you should be able to get a backup here; https://www.google.com/bookmarks/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users