Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Fresh Install Won't Update? Help

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:08 AM

I installed a fresh Windows 7 SP1 64-bit on my Dell Precision M6400 yesterday from a Dell OEM disk I've used before without any problems. At 2PM the disk was installed and I went to Update knowing there will be hundreds of Updates. All afternoon and evening it was "Checking for Updates. I left it on and went to sleep at 10PM, which is 8 hours of checking. I figured overnight it would finish.

I was wrong. Checked it at 7AM and it had turned off. Don't know why? So I put it back in the Update mode and hope it will finish today...this morning. The only change I can see after all those hours is Windows does say Activated.

This seems like a very long time. Should I reinstall Windows 7 if it doesn't update today? 

Lately on other laptops with Windows 7 the Updates have been slow, very slow. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Download the April 2016 rollup package as shown on this page. You need IE to download from the catalog. This will get you all updates and improvements since SP1. After the install make sure you have IE11 and .NET 4.61. If not you can get IE11 here and .NET 4.61 here

Download and install the June 2016 rollup. Make sure you have the prerequisite KB3020369 as shown on the page. 

Reboot after each and install. Then check again for any upadates.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:09 AM

- Perhaps your system did shut down as a result of over heating.

- Open Task Manager and Resource Monitor (Processor tab, see under "Services"). Does one process called "Svchost.exe" and/or a Service "Wuauserv" use A LOT OF CPU & memory ?

#4 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:47 AM

Download the April 2016 rollup package as shown on this page. You need IE to download from the catalog. This will get you all updates and improvements since SP1. After the install make sure you have IE11 and .NET 4.61. If not you can get IE11 here and .NET 4.61 here

Download and install the June 2016 rollup. Make sure you have the prerequisite KB3020369 as shown on the page. 

Reboot after each and install. Then check again for any upadates.

Thanks JohnC. I left it on Update when I went to work at 7:30 and hopefully...otherwise I'll try to get the Rollup going. Right now it has an old, like 2010 version of IE.

Yes Willy it well could have been the heat that shut it down. 

#5 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

A few days ago I did the same thing. All works, only slowly.
The only piece of advice - do not try to update everything at once, but do it in several times. Ie, first select only the oldest updates and install and configure, then a bit newer and do the same, etc. then again a bit newer till all are done.
If You trying to install all at once, it takes whole century and probably You will die before everything is done.

#6 trubendall

trubendall

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

I agree with Kaljukass, install a small number of updates at a time.  I have installed the whole lot before and ended in a reboot loop that I have to do a system restore to get out of.  Installing a small number of updates at a time prevented this from happening on the same computer.

#7 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:31 PM

5:30 PM:  I just pulled the plug after 10 more hours of "Checking For Updates" on top of yesterdays of 10 plus hours. Not a single Download or Install. Crazy Microsoft. Now on my lunch break I did a quick test and downloaded and installed IE 11 along with 12 other Updates from the MS site and it was fast and easy. The IE I had was IE 8 from the Win 7 install disk.

Looks like I will study up on the Rollup method and do that John C.

Kaljukass and Trubendall are you talking about the Rollup or the regular Windows 7 Update? 

I was planning to do the Free Windows 10 Upgrade and just now wondered if I really need all the Windows 7 Updates?  Would Windows 10 cover them? 

Edited by jackz4000, 13 July 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

5:30 PM:  I just pulled the plug after 10 more hours of "Checking For Updates" on top of yesterdays of 10 plus hours. Not a single Download or Install. Crazy Microsoft. Now on my lunch break I did a quick test and downloaded and installed IE 11 along with 12 other Updates from the MS site and it was fast and easy. The IE I had was IE 8 from the Win 7 install disk.

Kaljukass and Trubendall are you talking about the Rollup or the regular Windows 7 Update? 

I was planning to do the Free Windows 10 Upgrade and just now wondered if I really need all the Windows 7 Updates?  Would Windows 10 cover them? 

I talked about a completely new, clean installation, I used about three years old DVD with SP1. I did all this three or four days ago. Everything took about three or a bit more hours. Maybe four hours.

Edited by kaljukass, 13 July 2016 - 04:53 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:56 PM

If you don't want to install the rollup packages then see this page. You at least need the newest Update Agent and the 5 listed updates. Then reboot.

http://wu.krelay.de/en/

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#10 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:05 PM

I talked about a completely new, clean installation, I used about three years old DVD with SP1. I did all this three or four days ago. Everything took about three or a bit more hours. Maybe four hours.

I wish I could get it Updated in 4 hours. Last time I did a clean install was 10 months ago and it took 5 hours total time. Something is kerfluie. 

#11 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

If you don't want to install the rollup packages then see this page. You at least need the newest Update Agent and the 5 listed updates. Then reboot.

Thanks John. I think I'll try the Rollup first, though not for a couple days. 

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:46 PM

I had the same problem, Windows Update (WU) couldn't find updates. I took me under 15 minutes to solve this problem:

- Installed KB 3102810. After a reboot Win 7 found some 200+ updates within say 10 minutes (with lower CPU).

If you want to install large amounts of updates then do the following:

- Uncheck "Treat optional updates the same as recommended updates".

- Check all "recommended" and uncheck "optional" updates. (I would be VERY careful with those "optional" updates.).

- Close the WU section and shut down your system. Windows will give an option called "Install Updates & shut down system". Choose that option. Then you can go do something else. This also allows WU to use all resources of your system without any one interfering. You then have a better chance of updating without any errors. I never had a problem with that option.

Check every month this website:

Edited by Willy22, 13 July 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:52 PM

If you have a third party firewall uninstall it and check to see issue resolves.

Posted Image

#14 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Willy22 that sure looks like the easiest way to go. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810   With problems I like to start with the simplest solution first. I think I'll use the MS Tool to see if that fixes the problem and then yours. I think I need that Update. 

Freebooter I just did a fresh install of Win 7SP1 and haven't installed any security except what comes in Win 7. 

Edited by jackz4000, 14 July 2016 - 08:11 AM.

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

I understand  jackz4000  follow the instructions at Microsoft hopefully it will resolve the issue if not let us know there other options we can advice you to follow.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users