Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How can I upgrade this PC to run newer games?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 junu10

junu10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Hi, I have a PC which my dad built (around 2007/8). It has been with us for a long time now, and only recently have I found issues in working certain softwares and games in the unit. For instance I tried to install Assassin's Creed 3 and play it but it tells me DirectX 11 needs to be installed. So I tried to do that but the system is too old to update to that driver. 

I just want to know if there is any way I could upgrade this unit without investing a lot into it. We are currently on a strict budget, so if upgrading is a possibility (and is cheaper than buying a new unit altogether) I will most probably go for it.

The specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.40GHz {this line is repeated 4 times in the Device Manager screen, I am not sure what it is supposed to mean)

RAM: 5GB (there are 4 slots in the mother board)

Power : Blue Storm II 500 W

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7950GT

PC Tower: Gigabyte Chassis- Setto 1000

Ultimately I just want the unit to run the newer games, without lagging. It doesn't have to be extremely high-end.

I am not an expert in computers so please forgive me if the details are too vague. If you need more information I can provide it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:20 AM

For a PC that old, I suggest a rebuild over an upgrade.  A rebuild replaces almost everything in the PC, but leaves the power supply, chassis, hard drives (If they are less than five years old), and optical drives.  Everything else will be replaced.

Here's an idea:

Motherboard:  ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 - A basic motherboard allowing for AMD's FX processors.  I don't recommend using more than one graphics card with this board, if you want to do that, an AMD 990FX based board would be best.  $89

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 8GB - This should be enough RAM, if you later decide to buy more, simply get another kit.  $39

CPU:  AMD FX-8300 Vishera 8-Core 3.3 GHz - Not the highest end, even for AMD, but it is more than sufficient for most games.  $104

Graphics Card:  ZOTAC GeForce GTX 970 4GB - I would suggest an AMD RX 480, but those are out of stock and those that have them in are usually marked up.  $269

Operating System:  Windows 10 Home Full Version - You need this and you should install the 64-bit version.  $129

All of the above is about $635.

You can reuse your chassis, hard drives, optical drives, and power supply.  If you need a new hard drive, the WD Blue 1TB would be good if you want to go the traditional spinning drive route, but if you want to go solid state, the Crucial MX200 2.5" 1TB would work.  A lot of people get small solid state drives to install the operating system and a few frequently used applications on while using a traditional drive for everything else.

3939.png

#3 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:49 PM

What about this build http://pcpartpicker.com/list/
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

Liam,
That link doesn't work. At the top of the PCPP list click permalink and paste that link in the forums.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:59 PM

Liam,
That link doesn't work. At the top of the PCPP list click permalink and paste that link in the forums.

What?? But that link open when click it. Anyway http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ Thanks for suggestion but i already knew that from beginning.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 junu10

junu10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

Liam,
That link just leads me to an empty list with no parts selected.

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:09 AM

Liam,

What?? But that link open when click it. Anyway http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ Thanks for suggestion but i already knew that from beginning.

It opens when YOU click it, everyone else get either empty list or list they have prevously created. You do realize that http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ does not contain any information about spesific part list, right?

#8 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

Ok i'm sorry :( for that http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VVY8Yr this is right link. But still when i click that first link it shows me build which i've made for junu10

Edited by LiamP5, 14 July 2016 - 11:09 AM.

Be happy, always try
for it

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Ok i'm sorry :( for that http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VVY8Yr this is right link. But still when i click that first link it shows me build which i've made for junu10

Site is using cookies so they "know" it was you.

junu10, how big budget?

#10 junu10

junu10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Drillingmachine, im looking for something that can come within the $500-$700 range. In fact I don't think I even need an inbuilt optical drive as I already have an external one (USB type thing). Not many things come in CDs nowadays so I somehow feel as though it is redundant.
I won't be doing any graphic intensive tasks like 4k video editing etc either, Its just games and work.
And also seeing as how someone pointed out before, my PC is already ancient so building a new one altogether might be the viable option. So I'm planning to scavenge any working parts from this machine and just start over on something new. so if you have any ideas for a build that might fit within my budget it'd be awesome.
Cheers

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Drillingmachine, im looking for something that can come within the $500-$700 range. In fact I don't think I even need an inbuilt optical drive as I already have an external one (USB type thing). Not many things come in CDs nowadays so I somehow feel as though it is redundant.
I won't be doing any graphic intensive tasks like 4k video editing etc either, Its just games and work.
And also seeing as how someone pointed out before, my PC is already ancient so building a new one altogether might be the viable option. So I'm planning to scavenge any working parts from this machine and just start over on something new. so if you have any ideas for a build that might fit within my budget it'd be awesome.
Cheers

Then DJBPace07's suggestion is good altough I recommend something else than 3.5GB GTX 970, RX 480 custom or even RX 470 depending on display.

What OS you had on your old machine btw? If Windows 7, you probably can use it.

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:52 AM

Cheers

Then DJBPace07's suggestion is good altough I recommend something else than 3.5GB GTX 970, RX 480 custom or even RX 470 depending on display.

What OS you had on your old machine btw? If Windows 7, you probably can use it.

I fully agree, the only reason I selected the GTX 970 was due to stock shortages and markups on the RX 480, otherwise, the RX 480 would be recommended.

As for Windows 7, I'd go straight to 10 given that this is a gaming PC and DirectX 12 is only available on Windows 10.  There's also the whole licensing issue with OEM/System Builder versions not being transferable between motherboards.  Full version licenses can be moved between motherboards.

3939.png

#13 junu10

junu10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:04 AM

Got it boss! Thanks so much for the help 😀

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users