Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spill, now keys won't work

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Jen42

Jen42

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:01 AM

I have an Acer Inspire E14.  I spilled a bit of unsweetened coffee on it. I turned it upside down nd wiped it off. But then realised a couple of the keys ween't working.

I let it dry till the next day, but it's still not working

I pulled the offending keys off, and cleaned underneath, no luck

I pulled it apart, thinking I could clean the keyboard, but the keyboard doesn't seem to be removable

Any other ideas?

Should I try to disassemble more of it to access the keyboard?

Thanks for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

I'm afraid that the damage may already been done and will not be an easy fix.  You should have immediately pulled the power adapter plug and the battery when this happened.  Then you should have turned it upside down so the liquid could drip out.  But at this point this is akin to closing the barn door after the horsed has run out.

You can try dissembling the laptop to remove the keyboard to see if there is any liquid still inside.  But if you have had the laptop powered up I suspect the damage is done.

You can watch a video of this laptop being dissembled here

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

Can I replace the keyboard?

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

If you can get the laptop far enough apart to remove the keyboard & check that there is no liquid damage below it & you can source the correct replacement keyboard then yes you can replace the keyboard (have look on ebay for keyboards). This will only solve your problems if the damage is limited to the keyboard.

#5 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:31 AM

That seems to be a slightly different version than mine.  Mine is ES1 411 series

They don't make them easy to get into do they?

Will it be worth getting a professional to look at it?

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

Use a lint-free cloth to gently remove non-water stains. Use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to blow away the residue. You may need to take apart the case if you cannot clean the whole spill. Some spills can damage the circuit boards.Use deionized water for water-soluble stains such as cola. Otherwise, rinse with alcohol then water. Make sure that the parts are dry.

Posted Image

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:16 AM

On that model, you'ld be way smarter to get the whole top cover (keyboard, palmrest, and touchpad) Then, if you were uncomfortable with changing the part, pay somebody to do it.
$40: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Acer-Aspire-ES1-411-Laptop-Black-Upper-Case-Palmrest-Keyboard-60-MRUN7-028-/401051875047?hash=item5d608df6e7:g:~RYAAOSwa-dWjuJc
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

If you're going to attempt a keyboard repair [or later a replacement], many keyboards are attached to their respective motherboards by a ribbon connection that is very easy to accidentally break -- take your time.

Years ago, I broke such a connection once, and the replacement part was another keyboard, not a motherboard as the retailer was trying to sell me   :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:19 AM

Davis, you and I posted at the same time  :)   I like your idea much better than replacing only the keyboard.

Would thread starter still have to be very careful with the KB-MOBO ribbon connection assembly?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

Yes, and it looks like there are three of them! On that model, the keyboard was stuck on posts which were then melted to fasten it to the back of the top cover. You undo all of the screws on the bottom, pop the top loose, disconnect the cables, and then it comes off.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:45 AM

Use a lint-free cloth to gently remove non-water stains. Use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to blow away the residue. You may need to take apart the case if you cannot clean the whole spill. Some spills can damage the circuit boards.Use deionized water for water-soluble stains such as cola. Otherwise, rinse with alcohol then water. Make sure that the parts are dry.

A vacuum cleaner is a great static electricity generator unless it is one which was designed for this type of work.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:47 AM

You will need to be very careful with the connectors for the ribbon cables.  They are very fragile.  

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:30 AM

A vacuum cleaner is a great static electricity generator unless it is one which was designed for this type of work.  

Yes but i instruct OP to disconnect the Keyboard and use the vacuum cleaner  on Keyboard i myself always clean my laptop keyboard and keyboard with vacuum cleaner even when its connected to laptop this will cause no ESD that will damage attached components.

Posted Image

#14 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:23 AM

Remove any liquid inside the laptop, and if you don't want to replace the keyboard, then you would have to do with USB or Bluetooth keyboard

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#15 Jen42

Jen42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks everyone. 

I pulled it apart, as much as I could. Looks like I can't pull the keyboard off the top cover at all.

I couldn't see any spills.

I put it all back together, thinking it has to be completely dry now. Those keys still don't work.

So looks like I'll have to get that part. Do you know if there's somewhere I can get it from Australia?

I assume, since it's only a couple of keys not working, it means it's just the keyboard that's the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users