Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shrill, inconsistent buzzing in desktop PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 parallelzero

parallelzero

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:26 AM

Hey guys,

I built my current rig about four years ago, without any replacement parts aside from the new graphics card I added halfway into it's lifespan. So far it hasn't given me a hitch, but over the past month or so it's started developing a high pitched buzz that's extremely distracting. It started occurring only occasionally and I wondered if it was related to the load on my computer, but as of late it's happening far more frequently, for far longer periods, even with simple light usage at times. The sound is driving me crazy and I can't even identify where it is let alone whether or not I need to perform some sort of maintenance or replace a part.

What I know for sure:

• It isn't my hard drive.
  • It isn't any of my fans.
  • I'm fairly certain it isn't my power supply.

It's either my motherboard or my processor I'm pretty sure, and it's none of the fans on them. Unfortunately I failed to clean my parts of dust very often in the past year so it's likely that might be related.

If anyone has any thoughts that'd be great. My budget is super tight right now so I'm hoping it isn't a full part replacement so any ideas would be great.

I'm running a GEForce GTX 670, and an Intel Core i5-2500k processor, 8GB of RAM and a cheaper power supply.

Edited by parallelzero, 13 July 2016 - 02:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

Have you opened the case in order to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from?

There is a old mechanic's trick that they used to listen to motor noise.  They would take a long screw driver and place it against the engine and place their ear against the handle of the screw driver.  This amplifies the noise when it is against the location where the noise is coming from.  You can do the same with a long handle wooden or plastic spoon.  Place the end of the handle against the suspected components and spoon end against your ear.  When the spoon is against the origin of the noise it will be much louder.

Before you touch any components inside the case touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.  A static discharge can kill board components.  Since the computer will be running while you are doing this you need to realize that there is the possibility of being shocked if you touch some components in the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:36 AM

I'm not really a computer guy, I'm on this forum to ask questions and read through posts to see if I can learn anything, so keep that in mind when reading my answer.  

Could the sound possibly be coming from the case itself? I have an old dell e521 and I used to get a humming and creaking noise which I thought was from the fan or one of the hard drives (I have two hdd's stacked on top of each other). The noise drove me nuts for months but I noticed it would go away for short periods after removing the side cover and pressing bits and pieces on the inside to ensure they were fastened right. It wasn't until I tried pressing the top front corner of the case that I realized the bits where the plastic parts of the case are joined together was causing the noise, possibly due to the vibrations from the computer parts on the inside.  Now whenever there is a noise I just press on part of the case or side cover, or reposition the computer a bit and it goes away. It's like my fridge, making that creaking noise I can hear from the other side of the room actually caused by the loose plastic trays. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:14 AM

So this buzzing noise is not coming from a component inside the computer?

If that is the case, I believe you will have to figure out what it is and resolve it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Rewind22

Rewind22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

My experience ended up being a hdd case mount that had slop in the guide slot even after mounting screws were tightened. I found a small space between a part of the plastic casing of the hdd and the metal frame it slides into to use a few flat pieces of semi rigid rubber approx. 3/4" by 1" which I slid between the thin metal space the hdd slides into,(very tight fit), but seems to be working, no noise now thank goodness. I know it's a bit redneck like fix but hey, a MacGyver fix is sometimes very satisfying to the ego. Good Luck

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

Having a quiet machine is always a plus. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users