Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cloning of boot disk badly gone wrong...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Leinad78

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:17 AM

Hello guys,

it seems like i have sh** on my hands whenever i currently touch my computer. I used Spyhunter to remove some malware, which fried my computer and which was some serious task to get it back working. See here how we did it:

Now that C: is working fine, i used Acronis True Image (2014) to clone my SSD to an external HDD in case anything goes wrong.

So, the problem is, Acronis did NOT use my external, it used my second internal with all my photographs on it. I´m not a professional photographer so its not paid work thats gone, but it was many holidays.

Is there a chance of getting at least of few images back?

The HDD Acronis used is a 3TB, which was devided into 3 1GB partitions and now that its formatted to MBR, i can´t use the last 1GB where my photographs should have been stored (F:)

Any help is highly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:17 AM

Yes, there might be a chance. As long as the data was not overwritten as part of the clone process, you might be able to get some of it back. I honestly do not know if the cloning process completely overwrites the entire drive, especially when going from a smaller drive to a larger drive. It is possible that it does as cloning is supposed to be a "bit for bit" copy.

Here is where it gets tricky, however.

The cheap option is to try data recovery software that you use yourself. There are free options such as Recuva. And then there are paid options such as Recuva Pro, Data Rescue 3, and others. FWIW, I have indirect experience with Data Rescue 3 as a buddy used it to recover some accidentally nuked files.

The more expensive option (but generally better chance for recovery) is to use a data recovery service such as DriveSavers or others. This option is generally EXPENSIVE...as is hundreds to maybe thousands of dollars, although they generally don't charge to evaluate what they can recover and then give you a quote nor charge you if they cannot recover any data. Since this option is rather expensive, it is usually only used by people who REALLY want/need that data back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users