Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Photo Viewer started to freeze on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 hardadsl

hardadsl

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:46 PM

Hello,

I like the old "Windows Photo Viewer" and prefer to keep using it on Win10. Just a couple of weeks ago, it started freezing after a few seconds. When I try to close it, I get a warning asking if I want to wait or not, but waiting won't help. So I force it to finish, which takes some seconds.

This situation started a week or so after the penultimate Win10 automatic update, so I don't think it was that. I had hoped that, after the last Win10 automatic update, which was performed successfully today, the problem could disappear.

WPV was just working fine since always, now it's not. I didn't install new apps, I didn't change hardware. Whatever happened seems to have happened out of the blue.

I'm now using as default the other native option, the Win10 "Photo app". That one is working all right.

I've discovered just now that "Paint" is also freezing. As WPV, when "Paint" freezes, it's just a matter to force it to finish, which apparently does not disturb Win10 session at all. But as with WPV, it's now a "permanent" issue. I can reboot and reboot but WPV and "Paint" won't work. Who knows what else...

I noticed that when WPV freezes, a rundll32.exe (Windows Host Process) seems to halt on task manager (Windows Rundll32 at C:\Windows\System32). When I force WPV to shut, that .exe shuts as well. But such .exe does not appear when I open "Paint", which freezes also.

The same way I can use "Photo app" or "ACDsee" perfectly instead of WPV I can also use "Photoshop" perfectly instead of "Paint". Truth is that I can forget about WPV and "Paint" and do everything with other softs.  But I'm worried about having 2 native Windows applications freezing.

If I can mention other strange (but sporadic) symptoms:

-from time to time (let's say every 10 boots or more), I notice that I press the Power button and the Laptop restarts instead of shutting off. it shouldn't act like that. It's set to shut down on Control Panel.

-the Laptop touchpad/cursor sometimes seems to skip: once or twice a day, if I select a word and try to type over it, the letters of the new text appear separate in different places. For instance, if I select the word "places" and try to type "123456" over it, from time to time I might get something like "12 pl3456aces "...

I've already tried some things:
-cleanmgr (cleaned everything)
-SFC (absolutely nothing wrong came-up);
-DISM (absolutely nothing wrong came-up). 

Can someone help me out with this?
Again, Win10 itself seems to be all right, but I fear something wrong might be happening.
I've asked for help elsewhere but help didn't go beyond DISM.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

Please try below troubleshooting steps.

1. Boot your computer into Safe Modeif the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

2. Type Chkdsk C: /r  command to repair C: partition NTFS file system errors and mark bad sectors.

3. Check the Event Viewer for any error or warning logs that may give you clue what is causing the issue.

4. Disable or uninstall third party antivirus programs and check to see issue resolves.

5.  Uninstall third party codec packs.

6. Use Windows Media Player troubleshooter tools from Control Panel --> Troubleshooting --> Programs

Posted Image

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

Others may well have advice to the contrary.......but if this were happening to me in Windows 10, I would simply Reset the PC. This is done by opening Updates and Security, then Recovery...click on reset this pc....and follow the prompts.

This will keep your files and most 3rd party programs.

READ HERE

This is not a move for everyone....read carefully.

You can also restore Win 10 from a system image if you have one.....choose advanced startup instead of reset this pc.

If you have room on your hard drive it could also be a good idea to download a copy of win 10 while it is still free....July 29 is the deadline.

After you have taken whatever action you take....and your PC is running really cleanly   take a System Image......and keep it on an external hard drive.

This protects you against crap like this if it ever happens again.  Being windows, it is quite likely to happen again.

EDit::....I stil have a copy of win 10 running in a virtual machine and I use  FASTSTONE  as a photo viewer

Edited by Condobloke, 12 July 2016 - 10:24 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:49 AM

Thank you very much, FreeBooter and Condobloke,

Sorry to come up with this, but I was able to narrow down the causes. I used CTRL+ALT+DEL, accessed Task Manager, and started killing processes until I was able to see Windows Photo Viewer and Paint work again. The first time I did this, I closed 10 likely to be useless processes and then I could see those apps were working again. So I rebooted and tried to find which of those 10 were the cause. After many attempts, I've discovered 4 processes being the cause:

GAS Tecnologia - Core
GAS Tecnologia - Core
   >Warsaw Technology
G-Buster Browser Defense - Service (32 bits)
   >Gbp Service

Indeed when I finish them, they don't disappear of Task Manager, but still something happens and then I can use Windows Photo Viewer and Paint. So that would be a very improvised solution in order to use those softs.

The issue here is that those services are very invasive security services that are part of the home banking of my bank. I wonder if there's any way I can deactivate them and reactivate them when only I need to access my bank.
If I access Task Manager and go to "Startup", I can deactivate GAS Tecnologia - Core, so when I boot, I got only those processes going on:

GAS Tecnologia - Core
   >Warsaw Technology
   >Gbp Service

Yet, that's not enough to make WPV and Paint to work. So I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and start killing them, and then, even though they don't disappear, I can use WPV and Paint. But then again that's a very uncomfortable method.

I wonder if there is any way I can set the deactivation of those process by default (so when I need to use the bank, I reactivate them and reboot). I've tried to use msconfig, unchecked those services there, but when I click on "Apply", they are "checked" again. Such process are so invasive that they won't let me uncheck them (the "apply" button checks them again). I've been told that even uninstalling them is terrible, because residues of them will keep bugging the user, and then he/she won't be able to access the bank.

Is there any other way so I can set those processes as "deactivated"? Uninstalling them would not be the best solution, because every week I'd have to reinstall them. Best would be if there could be a way to take them out of the initialization and out of the background, unless when it's time to use them...

Funny is that this conflict didn't exist until some weeks ago. I know other people with Win10 and those security systems and they don't affect their use of WPV and Paint. If I could deactivate those services, everything would work, but still is a little hard to understand why this problem started to happen on my machine.

Edited by hardadsl, 13 July 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:40 AM

I have read about the G-Buster Browser Defense...etc etc Here   amongst other places....and the best recommendation I can give you is to start a new topic in the Virus Trojan and Malware Removal Area.....HERE

Start at step 6.

Be Patient

Provide a link in that new topic to this one....so the Experts there can read the background you have provided here.

You could also provided a link here to the new topic.

Good Luck

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Thank you, Condobloke

I suppose I ended up finding a way to suspend those plagues and getting them back whenever It's imperative to use them. Here's what has been done.

00-Get a Linux Ubuntu ISO and have it on a flashdrive (making sure BIOS will allow a USB boot) [ISO link here];

01-Boot PC by using the Ubuntu ISO on the flashdrive (I chose "try ubuntu before installing it" option, not "install ubuntu");
02-On the Ubuntu desktop, find Windows partition and:
-on "Program Files (x86)" folder, rename GbPlugin folder (to XXXGbPlugin), Diebold folder (to XXXDiebold) and GAS Tecnologia folder (to XXXGAS Tecnologia);
-on "Program Files" folder (my system is 64-bit), rename Diebold folder (to XXXDiebold);
-back to Windows partition on Ubuntu desktop, find "ProgramData" folder and, within it, rename GAS Tecnologia folder (to XXXGAS Tecnologia) and GbPlugin folder (to XXXGbPlugin);
03-Turn the machine off and start Windows normally: services "Gbp Service" and "Warsaw Technology" will be inactive by force - Windows Photo Viewer and Paint working fine;
04-I will use Windows that way most of the time; when I ever need to use the home bank, I'll return to Ubuntu desktop and revert folder name changes (from XXXGAS Tecnologia to GAS Tecnologia, from XXXGbPlugin to GbPlugin etc.).

Thanks again!

Edited by hardadsl, 13 July 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

I see that as being the hard way out of your problem....However it may well work for you.

I would be observant to see if there are any other unusual behaviours from your PC.....as you said this conflict/strange behaviour didn't exist until some weeks ago....So I do think there are other gremlins at work.

Keep your banking secure....Personally I would be doing it on a known secure PC....or perhaps do your banking from inside the Ubuntu desktop.

It would not be the first time that banking and other personal details have been "extracted" from a personal computer by stealth.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 hardadsl

hardadsl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:53 PM

I see that as being the hard way out of your problem....However it may well work for you.

I would be observant to see if there are any other unusual behaviours from your PC.....as you said this conflict/strange behaviour didn't exist until some weeks ago....So I do think there are other gremlins at work.

Keep your banking secure....Personally I would be doing it on a known secure PC....or perhaps do your banking from inside the Ubuntu desktop.

It would not be the first time that banking and other personal details have been "extracted" from a personal computer by stealth.

Hey, Condobloke

I am definitely afraid there might be other gremlins at work, exactly for the reason you mention: the behavior didn't exist until recently, and all the softwares were there for ages...

This solution of mine (actually not mine) was rather an immediate one and an immediatist one. I intend to follow your instructions and have deeper investigations as soon as I get some 2-3 days off everything.

#9 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:36 AM

Cool....way to go !

remember that the Experts in that area are immensely busy, and the wait for an initial answer can sometime stretch to 5 days.....you can always kick the topic off, and then reply every two days or so or whatever suits you....that way you wont be left sitting there ......waiting.....waiting....

GcnI1aH.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users