Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new desktop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

so, sometimes my wife is in the spending mood.  Today is amazon prime day(almost over so, I may not get responses or responses that will help in this time, I understand this and am okay with it.)
I found one that looks to me like a good deal...  >>here it is<<

Some things worth noting.  I know this isn't the newest, latest and greatest.  I considered upgrades for my current pc a while back and I had mixed responses.  Some people are TOTALLY set on "it has to be the best or you're an idiot".  Actually, a couple people (if they weren't the same person) treated me quite poorly to put it nicely.  But that's another story.
I am looking at this one thinking that for the price, it's a good deal.  The amount of memory, processor speed, hdd size, etc, for $399(today only) sounds good.  And I looked around... comparing prices on anything similar, this is a good price for what it is.
I just want other opinions to make sure.  Again, I know it's probably not a model that came out this year or something... but, it doesn't have to be.  It's something of a gaming machine but, I don't need a gaming machine.  So if you warn me that it isn't good enough to play game _______, that's okay.  I'm not a gamer.  I'll be using it for facebook and email and the like.  Other things as well but I'm not going to cry if it doesn't play the latest games out there.
I hope that's all making sense.
I'm not familiar with the brand.  If I buy it, it will feel weird not using a Dell as that's what I've been running for 10 years or more.  I've had great experience with their products(most of them) and great experience with customer service when I needed help.

Anyway... any thoughts on this brand?  Or the specs?  or anything?

Edit: I don't care for the red lights but I could deal with it.  And, I need to double check.  This is out of stock.  It says you can still order it and you wont get charged until it ships... but, does today's price carry over?  I am thinking it does but I'll have to double check on that.

Edited by millipede, 12 July 2016 - 09:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

It seems okay, but i would actually hold out on AMD as they are releasing a new chipset later this year and you may actually be able to get it cheaper by then.

CyberpowerPC is legit, though if you have the skills you can build your own for cheaper

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 July 2016 - 10:00 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

cheaper than that? for something newer?  I looked around and found nothing comparable for a comparable price.  That's a tough one.  And I imagine I can build a pc cheaper but, then I have to purchase the OS.  Would it still end up cheaper at that point?

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

Well let me go over the full specs first but normally yeah you can build your own for cheaper if you know where to get the parts.

Edit: yup you can go cheaper, I would ignore its Graphics card as that will hold you back on your gaming.

Heck some motherboards have better in built GPU's for a little more money

CyberpowerPC only gives its price at a rate hike, you can build a similar machine for only a little more or less money really assuming you go windows 10 home.

If money is a concern as it is with me right now I would buy each component on its own except thew motherboard and CPU

Edited by MadmanRB, 12 July 2016 - 10:19 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:30 PM

I wasn't worried about gaming.  I realize it was a "gaming" computer but, it was cheaper than all the non-gaming computers of similar specs really.  8gb Ram, 1tb hdd, etc etc...  most computers(regular every day user) that weren't "gaming" machines were that much or more.  which is why I was seeing it as a good deal.

I've never built a pc from scratch BUT I've replaced MBs, hdds, memory, PSUs, DVD players, and more.  There may be some things I'm unfamiliar with but I think I could do it.
So...  I think perhaps I should just build one???

heck, the machine I'm on now has 8gb of ram that's fairly new(probably not top speed but I already have it) and I have a 1tb WD green hdd that I plan(ned) on putting in this machine that I could always use for a build instead.
I'll think about it I guess...  and IF I do build one, I'd need some help.  Last time I brought it up in that section of the forum...  I had one or two guys telling me how I HAD to go with this or that which was better and  more expensive.  Guys that would tell me that I couldn't build a decent machine for that price.  Because their mindset is it has to be the best...  I'm not a gamer, I don't need the best.  ha. 
Anyway...  money is indeed a concern...  always is.  But if I can do something decent(and better than that machine) for a similar price, it might be worth looking into.  Hey, then I can choose fans that aren't red as well.  HA

Thanks for the thoughts so far.  I appreciate it.  I HATE decisions and with computers... I don't know quite enough to make the decisions too lightly.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Believe me I can relate I mean after all it is your money though and you can spend it as you wish I just think you could possibly do better then this machine and I can give you a good honest opinions without pressuring you into buying something that you don't want trust me

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 flamingo_go

flamingo_go

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

I highly recommend you to pay atantion to Alienware X51. I've decided to return it after encountering low fps on high-ultra settings on a few of my favorite games (that I used to play on my $700 personally built computer from 2014) and will be buying parts to build a computer. After searching and reading several reviews about gaming PCs onhttp://www.tomshardware.co.uk/picturestory/147-e3-201..,http://www.bestadvisor.com/best-gaming-pcs andhttp://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-gaming-pc,review-2219.html, I settled on this one. For the money it cost, I expect many years of good working. 
If you are looking for an out of the box gaming experience and don't mind throttling your graphical settings, this computer would be for you.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

I highly urge you...to spend your money acquiring what YOU want, not what someone else "recommends."  It's your money, your decsiion on how to spend it...you are the person who has to be satisfied with the system, none of the members here are in position to do anything other than express their opinions, which usually translates to "If I were you and I had the money...."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users