Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

APPLE ID to Sign In To iCloud

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:49 PM

This regards iCloud on my windows laptop but I'm posting it here because of iCloud being an Apple product. 

I already have an APPLE ID though I rarely use it - I recently closed my DROPBOX account (I got a notice from DropBox I was losing my free storage)  and I want to use my iCloud as a backup site.   The icon symbol shows up on my Windows laptop - when I try to sign in that icon doesn't work.  It says Sign on with your Apple ID to start using iCloud but then it gives me no means to do so.   So I just searched iCloud on the internet and went to icloud.com and entered my name and password and I get a screen that says "Update your Apple ID" but all I get is a blank screen with no spaces or prompts as to how to do so.   How do I sign on when every site I come to tells me to update my Apple ID when it never gives me a method to accomplish that - MAY I RANT FOR JUST A MINUTE every time I have tried to use my Apple ID it ALWAYS TURNS INTO THIS HUGE ISSUE usually it says I have the wrong one and involves a guessing game as I recall as to the name or email or password.

It is for this reason among others I really really really have a grudge against Apple and I am firmly committed to never ever again buying another Apple product (I currently have a very expensive Apple Imac) but I have this iCloud sign-in on my Laptop that I cannot use.

If you can help me resolve this conundrum I would be most grateful.

Right now I'm bouncing off the wall!

:bounce:

Edited by JayJax, 12 July 2016 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:17 PM

What browser are you using when you tried to sign into icloud.com? Internet Explorer? If so, which version of IE (and which version of Windows)? Have you tried a different browsers such as Chrome or Firefox? The blank screen seems to be an issue of the page not loading correctly, which could be due to the browser or due to a problem on Apple's end.

Can you go to icloud.com on your iMac using Safari and try logging in that way? If so, does it do the same thing?

If you end up having trouble logging in to iCloud due to a forgotten password or some other issue, then unfortunately you will likely have to deal with Apple about that. If we have ruled out problems on your end (such as using an updated browser that works with icloud.com, etc) and basically determined that it is an issue on Apple's end, then only Apple can fix that kind of stuff.

The only other option is to abandon that AppleID/iCloud account and create a new one...they are free after all. The only reason why this would be a bad idea is if you have purchased content through the Mac App Store, the iOS App Store, or iTunes and/or paid for more iCloud storage which is associated with your current AppleID. If you have never bought any items through any of those stores (the Apple Store itself does not really count unless you want a record of your purchases...but then you can also have/maintain multiple AppleIDs), then you can easily abandon it and just create a new one. And you can have one AppleID that you use for things like App Store and iTunes purchases and one that you use for iCloud (this is what I do).

One last thing...iCloud does NOT work exactly like Dropbox does. While they have finally added the ability to essentially mount your iCloud storage like a drive, it lacks some of the functions that Dropbox has. It still might do what you want, but it might not. Personally, I would stick to Dropbox or Box or Google Drive.

FWIW, I don't know why you would lose your free storage with Dropbox. That seems strange. They still offer the free basic account with 2 GB of storage space with the ability to get more space by referring friends and completing their "Get Started Guide".

#3 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

What browser are you using when you tried to sign into icloud.com? Internet Explorer? If so, which version of IE (and which version of Windows)? Have you tried a different browsers such as Chrome or Firefox? The blank screen seems to be an issue of the page not loading correctly, which could be due to the browser or due to a problem on Apple's end.

Can you go to icloud.com on your iMac using Safari and try logging in that way? If so, does it do the same thing?

If you end up having trouble logging in to iCloud due to a forgotten password or some other issue, then unfortunately you will likely have to deal with Apple about that. If we have ruled out problems on your end (such as using an updated browser that works with icloud.com, etc) and basically determined that it is an issue on Apple's end, then only Apple can fix that kind of stuff.

The only other option is to abandon that AppleID/iCloud account and create a new one...they are free after all. The only reason why this would be a bad idea is if you have purchased content through the Mac App Store, the iOS App Store, or iTunes and/or paid for more iCloud storage which is associated with your current AppleID. If you have never bought any items through any of those stores (the Apple Store itself does not really count unless you want a record of your purchases...but then you can also have/maintain multiple AppleIDs), then you can easily abandon it and just create a new one. And you can have one AppleID that you use for things like App Store and iTunes purchases and one that you use for iCloud (this is what I do).

One last thing...iCloud does NOT work exactly like Dropbox does. While they have finally added the ability to essentially mount your iCloud storage like a drive, it lacks some of the functions that Dropbox has. It still might do what you want, but it might not. Personally, I would stick to Dropbox or Box or Google Drive.

FWIW, I don't know why you would lose your free storage with Dropbox. That seems strange. They still offer the free basic account with 2 GB of storage space with the ability to get more space by referring friends and completing their "Get Started Guide".

I am using the most recent/up-to-date Firefox browser - not sure why I didnt figure on my own to try a different browser.   Thanks for recommending - I will follow-up with your suggestions here and report the outcome ASAP - depending on how long I can keep my eyes open tonight - not long is my guess..

I wondered that myself about Dropbox but I just figured that good deals usually don't last - but now that I think about it its possible that what ended was the ADDITIONAL storage I had qualified for based on having done something - I can't remember what but I had extra storage for free and I bet that is what ended - I shall look into that as well and report the outcome after I get it figured out.   I really liked Dropbox it was simple and straight-forward.

Thanks again for the recommendations and questions raised as to the possible issues.  :bananas:

Edited by JayJax, 14 July 2016 - 10:05 PM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

I am using the most recent/up-to-date Firefox browser - not sure why I didnt figure on my own to try a different browser.   Thanks for recommending - I will follow-up with your suggestions here and report the outcome ASAP - depending on how long I can keep my eyes open tonight - not long is my guess..

If Firefox is up-to-date, then it should work with iCloud.com assuming you are not using some sort of JavaScript blocking add-on (I use NoScript with Firefox when I use Firefox) as it appears the iCloud.com page uses JavaScript.

I wondered that myself about Dropbox but I just figured that good deals usually don't last - but now that I think about it its possible that what ended was the ADDITIONAL storage I had qualified for based on having done something - I can't remember what but I had extra storage for free and I bet that is what ended - I shall look into that as well and report the outcome after I get it figured out.   I really liked Dropbox it was simple and straight-forward.

Thanks again for the recommendations and questions raised as to the possible issues.  :bananas:

To my knowledge, the "regular" things (i.e. refer a friend and complete the "Get Started Guide") that you can do to earn additional free storage space do not expire. So, unless you had some other free storage add-on from some where else, you should not have any expiring free storage either. For example, I know of at least one computer that comes with 25 GB of free Dropbox storage for 6 months.

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

If Firefox is up-to-date, then it should work with iCloud.com assuming you are not using some sort of JavaScript blocking add-on (I use NoScript with Firefox when I use Firefox) as it appears the iCloud.com page uses JavaScript.

To my knowledge, the "regular" things (i.e. refer a friend and complete the "Get Started Guide") that you can do to earn additional free storage space do not expire. So, unless you had some other free storage add-on from some where else, you should not have any expiring free storage either. For example, I know of at least one computer that comes with 25 GB of free Dropbox storage for 6 months.

I do not think I am using any script blocker - anyway have not had a chance to try again but its on my list for later tonight or tomorrow - thanks for the info.    I'll update with results when I do.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:12 AM

Well as usual with APPLE everything that should take a minute or two with passwords is out of control.   Not sure anymore what my user name is or password.   Whatever username I try to use won't work If i try to open a new account with that email I'm told one already exists but when I ask to have a password mailed to me it says there is no account with that email.

i GIVE UP I will find some other storage to use the really weird thing is that it certainly recognized me well enough to install itself on my computer but now - not so.

I HATE APPLE.   NEVER AGAIN.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

Well, at this point, as I see it, you have following options:

1) Give up on iCloud as you said.  If you have not purchased any iTunes Store, iOS App Store, or Mac App Store items, then you likely will not notice any real downside to this.  About the only potential down side is losing the ability to sync contacts, calendars, bookmarks, etc between Apple devices and Windows computers.  If you don't have an iOS device in addition to your iMac, then this is likely a non-issue.  And as I said in a previous, there are better options for cloud based file sync/backup purposes as iCloud is not really the best option for this.

2) Try to get your current iCloud account working.  This would require calling Apple or going to a local Apple Store.  Since you seem to be fed up with Apple, this is likely something that you don't want to do.  That is fine, especially if you don't have purchased content or want/need to sync contacts, calendars, etc.

3) Setup  a new AppleID/iCloud account with a different email address.  Getting new email address to use is easy...just set up a Gmail email and then use the new Gmail email to setup a new AppleID/iCloud account.  Again, if you are fed up Apple and don't really need/want any of the functions of an AppleID/iCloud account, then there is no real need to do this.

Ultimately, unless you have real need for a functioning iCloud account/AppleID, giving up is perfectly fine.  About the only other reason to have a functioning iCloud account/AppleID beyond what I mentioned above is for activation lock if you have an iPhone.  

#8 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:12 AM

Yes I think the thing to do is abandon the whole thing however I am still frustrated that this only happens to me with Apple or I-Tunes or something involving Apple but at this point in time I don't have the time or the patience to deal with it thanks for your advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users