Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDtune benchmark dips in the same place

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

I've run HDtune on a new HDD and noticed two dips at the 500 and 700gb marks. Nothing dramatic but it happens each time. 

I've run the test with nothing else running in the background. 

I'm sure it's nothing but I'm wondering what it means when the graph dips in the same places everytime.

13-July-2016_08-54_zps0li0dt3r.png12-July-2016_23-32_zpsfy9klh9j.png13-July-2016_09-07_zpsvtfwg0xc.png

One other question, when I restarted windows 7 after inserting the drive, there was a prompt to initialize the disk.   I'm assuming this is a prompt for a brand new drive.  Would this happen with a drive that had been previously used and then formatted?   

Edited by j1983, 12 July 2016 - 08:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:39 PM

I think they are probably artifacts that correspond with the zoning of the drive platters. All modern drives divide the data surface up into zones with differing numbers of sectors as the length of the tracks decreases from outermost to innermost. It looks to me like around those transition points the data transfer rate drops off slightly.

The request to initialize is normally indicative of a brand new drive as you say. I wouldn't expect a reformat to provoke that, but I can't remember if it happens if you use a utility to zero-fill the drive. Someone else may be able to say for sure.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

Thanks. I don't really get what you mean but I'll take your word for it. 

It says on speccy, the drive has only been powered up twice which is the same number of times I've powered it since new.  Just got a bit paranoid since the local distributor cut holes in all their drive packaging to stick their brand sticker on it to identify their batches for authenticity and warranty purposes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users