Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can you be more explicit?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MassagePS

MassagePS

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:29 PM

Dear friend,

I am trying to sign up for the IRC chat.  Everything goes fine, and then I get an email message from BP saying I have requested ......

Please type the following/////    into "my"? IRC client to complete the registration.

Could someone kindly please explain in explicit detail exactly where they want me to type........the required info?

I am humbly sorry but I just don't know where you want me to put what you have emailed me to finish my registration.I thought I tried it all.

Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 July 2016 - 09:18 PM.
moved from Introductions to the appropriate forum

Once saved; always saved.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

Do you have an IRC client software installed I assume? If so I would assume you would simply connect to the BC server with your username and password and type the requested text into the chat/command box.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:08 AM

Thank you for your kind help. The IRC software (I think on BP directions). Didn't appear to work for me, so I tried the other one Mira (?) and it did appear to work.( recognized what name I wanted, etc) so then I went to get the rest of the confirmation, but don't know where eactly I am suppose to put it. I tried putting in the body, no go, tried clicking Options, other stuff...please help if you can.

Here is the email from BP that I don't know exactly *where* t they want me to put the given info....
-------

Hi,

You have requested to register the nickname "MassagePS".

Please type " /msg NickServ confirm ..................... " into your IRC client to complete the registration.

If you don't know why this mail has been sent to you, please ignore it.

This mailbox is not monitored. Replies to this e-mail will NOT get responded to.

Thanks for using GeekShed
-----
Ok. So I don't know where I am suppose to put those letters & numbers to complete the registration.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:51 AM

1) Connect to the chat room as described in this article

2) type the text you were sent (/msg NickServ confirm ....) into the chat box (This is an IRC command so it will not be visible to other users).

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

and preferably type that into the Control Panel of the chat client, not the chat channel.

You type into the same spot that you would type your chat messages.  Does that make sense?

Once your nick is registered,  you would then need to identify every time you connect.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Struggling here....

ABOUT THE BLEEPING COMPUTER CHAT ROOM
Welcome to the Bleeping Computer IRC chat room. IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a way for people from all over the world to communicate with each other in real time. You can learn more about IRC at www.irchelp.org where they have extensive tutorials and information on using this service. Below you will find links pertaining to this service and how to use it. Continue reading to learn more about how to connect and use this service. At the end of the document you will find links to tutorials on how to use IRC. If you would like to skip the rest and start immediately chatting, then click the following link: Start Chatting Users Currently Online
How to Connect
You are able to connect to our Chat Room via a dedicated IRC Client such as MIRC.
( downloaded that on my Windows computer ) or by using a web based Chat applet. Information on how to connect to the Chat room using both methods is described below.

MassagePS
NEWS
DOWNLOADS
VIRUS REMOVAL GUIDES
TUTORIALS
DEALS
FORUMS
MORE
HomeAbout the Bleeping Computer Chat Room

AddThis Sharing Buttons
ABOUT THE BLEEPING COMPUTER CHAT ROOM
Welcome to the Bleeping Computer IRC chat room. IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a way for people from all over the world to communicate with each other in real time. You can learn more about IRC at www.irchelp.org where they have extensive tutorials and information on using this service. Below you will find links pertaining to this service and how to use it. Continue reading to learn more about how to connect and use this service. At the end of the document you will find links to tutorials on how to use IRC. If you would like to skip the rest and start immediately chatting, then click the following link: Start Chatting Users Currently Online
How to Connect
You are able to connect to our Chat Room via a dedicated IRC Client such as MIRC or by using a web based Chat applet. Information on how to connect to the Chat room using both methods is described below.
IRC Client
It is possible to connect to our chat room using a standard IRC client that you may have installed on your computer. For windows a very popular client is Mirc and for the Macintosh a popular client is Ircle. To connect to our chat room you will need to configure your client with the following information:
IRC Server: irc.geekshed.net
IRC Port: 6667
IRC Channel: #BleepingComputer
IRC Link: Connect to #BleepingComputer with desktop client
(Note this above link may not be compatible with all desktop clients)
IRC Client
It is possible to connect to our chat room using a standard IRC client that you may have installed on your computer.

(Sorry. Stupid here. What is that??).

For windows a very popular client is Mirc and for the Macintosh a popular client is Ircle. To connect to our chat room you will need to configure your client with the following information:

Ok. Could someone please tell mr HOW to do that?

(Note this above link may not be compatible with all desktop clients).

When I click on various links, nothing happens. I feel like I am in the slow lane trying to move into the fast lane...is anyone able to get out of the fast lane to see what I am doing wrong?

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

Perhaps this guide will help you:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43551/how-to-use-icechat-to-join-the-bleepingcomputer-chatroom/

Icechat is a chat client.  Note that Icechat is on a much later version now, but basics should still be the same.

MIRC is also a chat client.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

God what a nightmare.

It says,

Instructions:

Double Click on IceChat5.         I don't know where that is. call me stupid.

This is going absolutely no where, and I am frustrated and disgusted.

Please close this.  I really do feel I can follow intelligent instructions but you have to be a walking IT person here to follow SOME instructions here at BC.  I can see that people are busy so I'll forget chat;  just please close this thread off. I'm sorry; don't mean to be rude.  Just need to go on to find out what is happening with my sisters pc.

Thanks.

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:39 PM

@MassagePS

IceChat5 is a chat program. If you installed it, it should be in a fairly obvious location (the all programs list on the start menu, among other places).

I can walk you through this if you would like, please answer my offer before having the thread closed.

#10 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Thank you for your response. I can tell you that everything went great signing up for chat; they asked me for a nic name and passwords and I entered that. The problem arose when they wanted me to take the emailed confirmation that they sent me, and go back to the visible chat.

I did that. And on the left side you could see the chat room body where people would chat or put responses. On the right side you could see various peoples nicknames or user names listed on the right side.

I think there were 2 or 3 tabs above the body of the chat room box.
I tried taking the confirmation and doing everything with it. Clicking in the body, clicking on the tabs, clicking within the tabs, clicking on some peoples names, I couldn't get any place to take the confirmation. Ok, now what....

In the chat body, I keep getting the (automatic?) message in red, in the chat room body, that says you're not signed up yet, we're waiting for your confirmation but no where would take the confirmation, so I'm lost here.

In my humble opinion, whomever wrote the instructions, automatically feels that everyone reading the instructions, knows exactly what ALL the terminology is. I find this an increasing problem with people that are already in the fast lane, they themselves forgetting that not all people reading instructions know what is being said because they are not explaining it properly. There are no problem solvings offered; if this happens, do this, if you encounter this, go back and do this......Telling a person to "read this", or sending them a link with directions that don't help or is not explained sufficiently, is a waste of time on everyone's part.
This should not have been complicated with detailed helpful directions. Am I the only one??

I'm not sure, and don't know if BC will accept, an image of what I am seeing. I am on an ipad mini, but can use another laptop if necessary, if you can accept an image to help me, do let me know. Your help is appreciated and never taken for granted.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

Please do post the image. It might be helpful.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:54 PM

I did look at what you did to try to confirm.

I pulled this screenshot off the Ice Chat page. Notice my edit at the bottom. Did you enter it there? While the screenshot is for Ice Chat it will be the same for Mirc.

WK9jET2.png

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 July 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#13 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thank you Queen E.

The chat box look slightly different, although had similarities. I am going to review my steps again.

#14 MassagePS

MassagePS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Reading the "how to connect page"........

How to Connect
You are able to connect to our Chat Room via a dedicated IRC Client such as MIRC or by using a web based Chat applet. Information on how to connect to the Chat room using both methods is described below.

IRC Client
It is possible to connect to our chat room using a standard IRC client that you may have installed on your computer. For windows a very popular client is Mirc and for the Macintosh a popular client is >IRCLE<.

OK. So I am on an Ipad mini so I clickI click on the IRCLE link, and it says "The official IRCLE home page" and there is no live links except an ADVERTziSEMENT to lower your bills......Is it me...did I miss the link?? What is it? confused...why am I here on this link/page??

The following paragraph says the following, which I have no clue what to do with......

To connect to our chat room you will need to configure your client (?), with the following information:

I would like to have chat ability on both my IPad mini and my win 7 laptop but I'm lost here...
Do I possibly need an app or something for this IPad mini to work?

Edited by MassagePS, 15 July 2016 - 02:59 PM.

#15 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

Yes, you would need an IRC client app to use the IRC chat on your ipad. I don't use Itunes/iOS, and so will leave it to someone more experienced to suggest apps.

The following paragraph says the following, which I have no clue what to do with......

To connect to our chat room you will need to configure your client (?), with the following information:

That paragraph lists connection settings that you will need to input into your IRC client (a piece of software installed on your computer so you can communicate over IRC) in order to connect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users