Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"we couldnt complete the update"

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 mtntech

mtntech

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Been having this problem for the past couple of months where my computer will require a restart.. so i postpone it for a day and then the next day without warning or letting me stop it, the computer will automatically restart to update. Normally this would be perfectly fine or i would just get the update out of the way, however every single time for the past few months its tried doing this update it finishes downloading it and then pops up saying "We couldnt complete the update, undoing changes, do not power off the pc" which basically means every couple days i have to wait around 20 minutes for my computer to download and un download this update. wondering what the problem is, im not sure what you would need from me specs wise so just ask and ill post, thank you for your time :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

What is the update?   KB-----------

Is this the only update you are having this problem with?

Have you tried to manually download the update?

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Clicking on the link above will automatically start the download.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:54 PM

how can i find out which update it is? it just says computer needs to restart to install an update, where do i see what its for? 

this is what the program found https://gyazo.com/965c4a5ce999671c7774c177ca1c634f

Edited by mtntech, 13 July 2016 - 04:56 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

@mtntech #3

Press Win key + x, select 'Control panel', select 'Windows update'. In the top left of the screen you will see an entry 'View update history'. If you click on this you will see a list of all the updates you have attempted to apply to your computer, each marked 'Successful' or 'Failed'. The one you are looking for is almost certainly the latest 'Failed' one.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

ok these are the two failing:

Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3174060)

and

Security Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB3170377)

https://gyazo.com/2bf079c39ddda7af5839ead8013570b5

Edited by mtntech, 13 July 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:53 PM

Open the Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing the Windows key + X keys from the Desktop to open Power User menu and select the Command Prompt (Admin) .

Type below command one at time and for each command press Enter key.

Net stop wuauserv

Rd /s /q %SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution

Restart your computer and check and install Windows updates.

Posted Image

#7 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

tried this and still got the same problem, sorry just now getting to reply, debit card got stolen so been dealing with that lol

#8 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:34 PM

Hello,

SFC /SCANNOW
  • Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on Command prompt (Admin) => Press Yes on the prompt
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with rest of the steps.
Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt
  • Right click on the aa922834-ed43-40f1-8830-d5507badb56c_39. button
  • Click on Run => Inside the run box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt, please rename this file to CBS_{Insert forum username here}_{insert todays Date here}.txt For example "CBS_Go The Power_1803.txt"
  • Please upload CBS_{Username}_{Date}.txt to this thread.
Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or One Drive

#9 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:34 PM

Heres the file D:

Attached Files

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

I have take a look at the log file you have uploaded and there are no damage system files.

Uninstall all third party antivirus and firewall programs  and  execute batch scripts i have created the download  links are below. You must restart your computer after executing batch scripts.

Set Windows Services To Default Startup
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618364/set-windows-services-to-default-startup/

Reset Windows Update Components
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618826/reset-windows-update-components/

Posted Image

#11 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

so after i run these its supposed to update correctly? hopefully that is

#12 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 22 July 2016 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

Just a quick add on. If you now need more than 10 Important Updates just install (tick) half of them, let that run, Reboot and then tick the rest.

99% of the time you will only ever require Important Updates, and that is all.

If you still have Important Updates that will not install, please post back with the KB numbers ..

I hope this helps.

EDIT - (KB3170377) is listed as having a few problems on M/soft sites, so it may be released again next month.

You can Google Adobe Flash player Update, and run it from there if you prefer, mine is set to Auto update (not with M/soft updates).

Edited by Jaycan, 22 July 2016 - 12:34 AM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#13 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

thanks everyone, do you guys think upgrading to windows 10 will help the issues? and what are the cons of windows 10? is it still buggy or is it pretty usable now

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Don't forget to uninstall third party installed antivirus antivirus and firewall programs.

If you're having problems with your PC, you can try to refresh. Refreshing your PC reinstalls Windows and keeps your personal files and settings. It also keeps the apps that came with your PC and the apps you installed from the Windows Store.

To refresh your Windows 8.x system, go to Settings > Update and Recovery > Recovery. Then under "Refresh your PC without affecting your files," click the Get started button.

Yes upgrading to Windows 10 could resolve the issue visit below link.

Is Upgrading to Windows 10 really worth it?

Posted Image

#15 mtntech

mtntech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2016 - 09:53 PM

might be a stupid question but how exactly do i tick which updates i would like to download? i want to try downloading 1 at a time and see if that helps but im not sure how to do that, its stuck at "checking for updates"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users