Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to edit/change "USER" in: This PC> C: > user > USER?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

I'm setting up Win 10 for the 1st time on a Lenovo Win 10 laptop. It had to do a ton of upgrades before all the features would work like the touch screen & task bar. Once all the updates were completed I started to set it up. Somehow I missed the part where you put a name to the "USER" in the C; drive. On my Asus it says: This PC> C > user > johnf. But on the Lenovo is says: This PC> C: > user > USER. I went in & changed the Local Account Admin to a Name I wanted hoping that would change "USER" to "rocco"  but it didn't. I know that all programs installed in the future will have a path that looks like: This PC> C: > user > USER > Dropbox unless I can change it. I'm not very far into setting the laptop up so I want to make sure i don't keep moving forward in case I have to reset or roll back anything. How can I fix this problem?

**Also why do I have a C: drive = 885GB & a D: drive = 24.9GB after I did the Win 10 update. (it had Win 10 on it but needed to upgrade to a newer version & now I have a D: drive that i did not create.

Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ridernyc

Ridernyc

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:57 PM

Create a new account with the name you want then remove the old account. 

Edited by Ridernyc, 12 July 2016 - 05:57 PM.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,671 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:14 PM

I'm pretty leery of deleting an original user account as I'm concerned about "path" issues

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

Boot Windows into a administrator account that is not the user account that you want to rename the user profile folder and open the C:\Users and rename your user profile folder and open the registry editor by typing regedit into Start Menu search box and navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> Software --> Microsoft --> Windows NT --> Current Version --> Profile List" and click each subkey to find the key associated with user profile folder you want to rename the ProfileImagePath value data will have the user profile path and name, change the name to match the same name of the your user profile folder you renamed. Reboot computer to make changes. You can enable build in Administrator account to rename your user account open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Net user administrator /active:yes press Enter key. After you finnish with Administrator account disable it by typing Net user administrator /active:No command. Make sure to create system restore point before making any changes also if you don't have Windows 10 setup media create a Repair Disk.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:25 AM

Just my 2¢:

I do not delete things (well, not right away - and I usually forget).  I rename them and then wait to see if I need them before finally deleting them.

If you start getting problems - just re-name it back and see if that helps.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users