Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with a tight screw and a flat wire connector!!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

OK. Somethings I can do and somethings I can't and something I...try. Need to install some memory in a Dell M6400 and I need to remove the keyboard to get to the 2 top memory slots. All the screws came out nicely. Except for the last one which is really tight and I don'[t want to strip it. Any simple advice? 

Next. The manual says I have to disconnect the small flat ribbon wire from the power button. It looks like it has tiny plastic connectors. I've never worked with this wire or connector and it looks delicate. Any advice appreciated.

I'm trying to think before I make things worse. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikejose

mikejose

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

For the stuck screw I highly recommend a product called grip-tite. You can find it on ebay. It's like a gel with a micro-grit mixed in. Apply a small amount to the tip of the screwdriver. The grit helps the screwdriver to "bite" into the screw head so it doesn't cam out.

#3 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:27 PM

I'll try that Mike if the rubber band trick doesn't work.Thanks.  Read Crazy Glue really grips the screw slots too, but that could get messy. 

edit: Could not find your product, but found this:  https://www.amazon.com/Vibra-TITE-470-DriveGrip-Anti-Cam-Fluid/dp/B008RMT63A

Edited by jackz4000, 12 July 2016 - 04:31 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Assuming you have a set of small screwdrivers - straight and cross headed - some of these connectors just pry gently apart, others have a catch that needs to be either compressed to free the connector or lifted to free it. If you don't have such a set, get one. They are invaluable for all sorts of jobs, from dismantling computers and other electronics to repairing glasses !

One of the best sources of information on this sort of dismantling is Youtube. Open Youtube and type 'Computer make and model' + 'Teardown' into the search bar and see what comes up. I would be surprised if you only found one. You will find the quality varies from excellent to so-so, so pick the best.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:50 AM

Thanks Chris I have a couple small screwdriver sets. Yes, looks like a tiny little "catch" on the connector where it makes an "L". I'll hit Youtube.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users