Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Windows 7 won't shut down.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Last night my computer blue screened while I was on it, and said it would shut down to prevent damage. It does this often, and considering it's a pretty old computer, I didn't think too much of it.

It started back up and said it was configuring updates, and then went to the "Shutting Down" screen with the turning wheel. It's been at the screen for 13 hours, and still hasn't shut down.

Last night it did this, and me being the impatient man I am, decided to turn it off with the button. I turned it back in and it restarted updates that I don't have, and went back to the shutting down screen.

I have not plugged any external hard drives to my laptop. I don't have a disk in it. There shouldn't be any outside source keeping t from shutting down. So how do I get it to shut down properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:21 PM

And it's at a black screen and won't turn on at all. It's broken. Glad I didn't get help.

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Do you have a Windows 7 Setup DVD?

Posted Image

#4 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

No I don't. And it's too late. The computer completely shut down. It wont even start up.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

If you computer wont power on what happens when you power on the computer are there any of the lights on like Power On light HDD light?

Does the Fans works at all?

Posted Image

#6 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 01:04 AM

It's a black screen. The fans turn on, and so do the lights. But considering I don't have the disk for it, I don't think I can bring it back.

#7 aizakanwal5

aizakanwal5

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 07:58 AM

just right click on  on desktop and after that on property  and go to desk cleanup and clean the disk your system work properly  

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

It's a black screen. The fans turn on, and so do the lights. But considering I don't have the disk for it, I don't think I can bring it back.

If when you power on the computer there is no image displayed on Monitor even logo of Manufacturer of the Computer or you cannot boot Computer into BIOS setup utility then this issue has nothing to do with Windows OS its hardware causing the issue.

I need you to disconnect the power cable from back of the power supply unite and hold down power button for 30 second and connect the power cable power on the computer to find out issue resolved if not then follow below instructions.

1. Check the cable connection between Monitor and graphic card is firmly connected.

2. Try different video cable and ports.

3. Connect the computer to different Monitor or TV set to see issue is not the monitor you are using.

4. Take out graphic card and connect the monitor to motherboard VGA port to see issue is with the graphic card.

5. Reset RAM modules by taking them out from there slot and reconnecting them back.

6. Reset BIOS settings by taking out CMOS battery for 30 minutes or by using jumper that will reset BIOS setting store within CMOS chip.

Posted Image

#9 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:14 AM

There is no separate monitor... or any of the rest of that... It's a laptop. I'm not even gonna be bothered, I'm just gonna get a new one.

#10 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:16 AM

just right click on  on desktop and after that on property  and go to desk cleanup and clean the disk your system work properly  

I can't do that if the laptop doesn't even show desktop or anything at all for that fact. The trackpad doesn't work so I can't click anything. I'm starting to think no one is even reading what I have previously stated.

#11 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

If when you power on the computer there is no image displayed on Monitor even logo of Manufacturer of the Computer or you cannot boot Computer into BIOS setup utility then this issue has nothing to do with Windows OS its hardware causing the issue.

I need you to disconnect the power cable from back of the power supply unite and hold down power button for 30 second and connect the power cable power on the computer to find out issue resolved if not then follow below instructions.

1. Check the cable connection between Monitor and graphic card is firmly connected.

2. Try different video cable and ports.

3. Connect the computer to different Monitor or TV set to see issue is not the monitor you are using.

4. Take out graphic card and connect the monitor to motherboard VGA port to see issue is with the graphic card.

5. Reset RAM modules by taking them out from there slot and reconnecting them back.

6. Reset BIOS settings by taking out CMOS battery for 30 minutes or by using jumper that will reset BIOS setting store within CMOS chip.

That would help... if I had a desktop... but I have a laptop. And I have already tried unplugging it, and taking out the graphic card.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:09 AM

Well every suggestion i have given you also apply to laptops. For laptops take unplug the power cable and battery and hold down power button for 30 seconds.

you tell me which part of my instruction you believe wont work for laptop i tell you if its or not.

Posted Image

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

I had similar situations in the past - almost as described by our new found friend, MyComputerIsTrash.  My shutdown problem probably was caused by upgrading an old computer with an OS it had to huff and puff to work with, and some of my security and monitoring programs [which were designed for newer operating systems] would not release control to Windows' shutdown procedure.  My black screen probably was caused by a major clash between hardware and operating system, it might have been video and OS, I'm not sure.

My newfound friend, I read your thread opening, as you ponder a new laptop, would you mind sharing what "your gut" was telling you?  Does my description above come close to what you were experiencing?  I would like very much to learn from you.  And, I'm keeping the earlier replies of others in mind 'cause such steps will certainly come in handy for my computers in the future!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#14 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:12 AM

I had similar situations in the past - almost as described by our new found friend, MyComputerIsTrash.  My shutdown problem probably was caused by upgrading an old computer with an OS it had to huff and puff to work with, and some of my security and monitoring programs [which were designed for newer operating systems] would not release control to Windows' shutdown procedure.  My black screen probably was caused by a major clash between hardware and operating system, it might have been video and OS, I'm not sure.
My newfound friend, I read your thread opening, as you ponder a new laptop, would you mind sharing what "your gut" was telling you?  Does my description above come close to what you were experiencing?  I would like very much to learn from you.  And, I'm keeping the earlier replies of others in mind 'cause such steps will certainly come in handy for my computers in the future!

#15 Mycomputeristrash

Mycomputeristrash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:16 AM

Sorry for quoting twice. Technical difficulties.
Im pretty sure my problem was caused by updating the computer. because when it crashed, like it normally would, it started back up and said it needed to do updates. When it was done with updates it tried shutting down, but wasn't able to. And then it turned off for good.
I also thing overheating was a problem too. The make of my laptop was complete crap. The fans were on the bottom, so no matter what you put the laptop on (desk, lap, even a fan to help) it would overheat. I'm sure each time it overheated, the computer would slowly break.
So the complete crash could have been caused by both updates and the damage from it constantly overheating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users