Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With GeForce GT 730 Video Card

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

I have this 7-year old PC with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, Debian 8.5, and Linux Mint Debian Edition 2. All three OSs are 64-bit versions. The motherboard is an Intel DQ965GF and currently has an EVGA GT 610 video card installed.

The strange thing that is happening is that all three OSs load without problems when the EVGA GT 610 is installed. But if I install an EVGA GT 730 (with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM), then only Ubuntu loads fine. The other two OSs stall right after GRUB (i.e. there is a blinking cursor a few seconds after the GRUB menu).

Ubuntu has the proprietary NVIDIA drivers installed, while the other two OSs have nouveau.

Am I to conclude that the reason that the two OSs don't properly boot up is because they lack the NVIDIA proprietary drivers? If so, why do they boot up when the EVGA GT 610 video card is installed, then??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

Probably because those drivers only support the 610 and Ubuntu has NVidia drivers so they may have all drivers for Ubuntu, another guess is probably the drivers are unstable

Don't even think about it if your not sure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users