Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes - Phantom collision?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WouldBePolymath

WouldBePolymath

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:58 AM

I'm having a problem with Avira Phantom VPN not working, which I'm working with Avira to resolve.

However, I would like to run an idea by this forum about that, because I suspect that Avira may have a conflict of interest in advising me about one aspect of this problem.

As I had mentioned in my thread User account hijacked by MSN, thanks to Avira.

I had both Avira Antivirus Pro and Malwarebytes installed.  As a condition of helping me to rectify my problem with Avira Phantom VPN, they insisted I uninstall MB.

But I never experienced a collision between MB and Avira Antivirus, so I suspect Avira may just be trying to quash their competition.  So I reinstalled MB after a session working with Avira.

So I pose the following question here, rather than to Avira:

Is it possible Phantom's problems are due to a collision with MB?

Specifically, could MB be repeatedly disabling Phantom?  And if so, is there a way to configure MB so that it won't block Phantom?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Malwarebytes shouldn't have any effect on Phantom. It doesn't run a 24/7 monitoring service (well the free version doesn't, the paid one does), you have to kick it off. It also doesn't block things, it will quarantine an item it finds suspicious, but only at the time of scan.

Again the above depends on if you are running the free version or not. Though even the paid one with the monitoring service shouldn't be blocking something like a VPN from working, in theory.

Easy way to find out though.... uninstall malwarebytes and see what happens.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 12 July 2016 - 01:10 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

For reasons already stated I agree there is little to no likelihood that MB use is causing problems with any Avira products.  Antivir was my AV of choice for many years until recently, and I was also told to uninstall MB and any other security program when I was using their help to troubleshoot a problem--actually I think it was SpywareBlaster they wanted me to uninstall, which request is ludicrous on its face.  But I think it's only partly because of the competition--can't blame them for wanting to be your security one stop shop.  Some of it is because troubleshooting is easier on a system closer to bare bones, but for the most part I think they are just really focused on Avira and what it can do and don't really know anything about other security products.  I'm sure too many times they have had to help people running more than one full fledged AV, so they don't care to learn about other products that may not conflict--it's easier for them to just tell you to uninstall.  As you mentioned in your other topic, you can always reinstall after the troubleshooting is over.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users