Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer running erratically, lagging, wifi inconsistent

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott3232

Scott3232

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 10.  I generally use Google Chrome for my browsing.  I connect to the Internet with a Netgear wireless router.  I'm having a few problems:

1) The router seems to drop intermittently throughout the day.  The only way to get it to reconnect is to pull it out of the USB slot and reinsert it and it reconnects.  It's a real pain.  I do not have an ethernet hook up available.

2) I get page unresponsive warnings associated with Shockwave.  I only have the Chrome version enabled.

3) Sometimes the computer hangs up and gets very laggy.  It almost feels like the resources (perhaps memory) are getting sucked up by something.

Any help would be appreciated.  I don't want to get a new computer if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:54 AM

If you don't get a response here soon, I'd suggest posting over in the Networking forums for some expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Tr4ce

Tr4ce

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:15 AM

Hi Scott.

Are you using a usb wifi adaptor for you connection? Do you know what spec Inspiron 580 you have? and was it a upgrade to windows 10 or a fresh install?

#4 Scott3232

Scott3232
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Yes, it's a Netgear WiFi adapter.  I can get you the specs for my computer, I just need to know what you want me to provide.  It was an upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

One other piece of info I can provide is I have 2 USB inputs on the front of my computer.  One has the WiFi adapter at all times; I switch things in and out of the other one periodically.  When I pull out whatever USB cable is plugged in to the one next to the WiFi adapter it always seems to cause the internet to drop.  

#5 trubendall

trubendall

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

Are their any other USB port you could try?  if not, try using the other one on the front and see if that makes any difference.

#6 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 03:31 PM

Weird situation. 

You might've been DDoSed, but I doubt that. However getting DDoSed does mess up your router and take down your internet or slow down your internet, but since it is related to Shockwave I don't think it has something to do with you being DDoSed. 

I copied your title to see if anybody else on different websites had the same problem as you did. 

I found this link > http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2346609/wifi-inconsistent.html 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:24 PM

Some models of the Netgear wireless USB adapters  has disconnecting problem try installing latest version of the Netgear wireless USB adapter also try previous version of the driver. I myself using NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 N600 Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter this adapter driver has bug that make it disconnect from network even previous version of the driver has this bug there is not much can be done if Netgear wont fixes this bug with new driver.

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 July 2016 - 10:25 PM.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users