Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cisco e1000 That Much Better Than The Mighty, MIGHTY Linksys WRT54g??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:54 AM

picked up an e1000 for $4 the other day.. was going to play around with it and install DD-WRT or Tomatoe.. but then got to thinking, AS IS, this router might be better than my current one..  Linksys WRT54G running stock firmware, has held us down for last 5 years.

1700sq ft colonial home, w/full basement level 6ft underground..

several mobile devices.. android x3, 1 ipad, 1 iphone 6

3 pc's ONLY used for lite web browsing..

1 PS3 used on occasion for LAN gaming, aka CoD..

thats pretty much it.. besides my occasional work from home days(VPN connection) no real heavy usage, little to no streaming, but did just pick up a new blu ray player with Netflix so that may change slightly..

let me know!

oNe

P.S.  I have my eye on an ASUS RT-N12 seems to be a great all around router and has RAVE reviews...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:18 PM

What hardware versions are you comparing? Out of those options, I would go with the Asus RT-N12 but any reason you are staying below N300/25$?  If you work for home I would suggest investing a bit more in your network. 

#3 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:07 PM

What hardware versions are you comparing? Out of those options, I would go with the Asus RT-N12 but any reason you are staying below N300/25$?  If you work for home I would suggest investing a bit more in your network. 

I am not sure what you mean but I guess lets jus say i dont' know any better? 

granted I work in IT for a living but to me a routers just a router.. 

What exactly or HOW should I be looking at a new router? 

Or even better, what router would you recommend and why? 

someone just threw out the TP-Link Archer c5 and gotta admit, thing seems like a beast!! 

oNe

p.s.  wrt54g is vers2.1 and RT-N12 would be whatever Amazon sends out? 

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

"granted I work in IT for a living but to me a routers just a router.. "

This literally made me choke on my coffee. What? RAM, Flash, CPU, Wifi standards, thermals, firmware compatibility; these are all different on different routers. That's like saying a computer is just a computer, which I would understand from a layman..but someone in IT?

As for suggestions, what Wifi standards are your devices capable of? Whats your max price point? 

#5 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:18 PM

"granted I work in IT for a living but to me a routers just a router.. "

This literally made me choke on my coffee. What? RAM, Flash, CPU, Wifi standards, thermals, firmware compatibility; these are all different on different routers. That's like saying a computer is just a computer, which I would understand from a layman..but someone in IT?

As for suggestions, what Wifi standards are your devices capable of? Whats your max price point? 

bwa haha... I had  good chuckle reading this.. 

I see where your coming from on that, I may have pulled an END USER move with that line..

Guess the Linksys WRT54G is that good(heck its 7+yrs later and its still being sold by Linksys NEW) that I never even gave any thought or concern towards WIFI, or much less wifi routers and specs..

HOWEVER shortly after posting that and reading your comment I BONED UP on WIFI standards and NOW know, ITS A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE in one router to the next..  WOW!!   

Anyways I am now in a better spot(call me a learned gentlement) and have an understanding of whats up! 

#6 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:22 PM

To answer your question..   my devices are all up to standard, they are simply mobile devices(iphone 6, Motorola Turbo), a Lenovo x240 work laptop and thats pretty much it, along with a blu ray player..

Devices all support  802.11 b/g/n

price point is $75-200

After much reseach I think the TP-LINK Archer C5 is the way to go..

thoughts?

much appreciated

oNe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users