Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not boot

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:58 AM

Machine will not boot from CD 

Thread moved here as Blue Screen Crash mod referred me here. 

Here is link of the thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618241/computer-will-not-boot-after-windows-10-upgrade/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:16 AM

From quickly looking through the thread the only thing I can think of is to powercycle the computer if that has not been done. Pull your power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds, replace the power cord and try a reboot.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

I did a windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7

This was the start of your problem. This website and others are filled with frustrated computer users with trashed systems from the Microsoft upgrade to Windows 10. You probably have a hopelessly corrupted mess composed of remnants of 2 operating systems. I suggest that you go back to Windows 7 (if you can at this point) and start over. If you have valuable data, we can try to pull it off the drive, but all we can do at this point is hope for the best. It is possible that something failed mechanically, but we can only determine that by testing each component individually until we are down to a choice between the CPU or the mainboard, and then pick the most likely suspect. It is a very time-consuming and tedious procedure, so I suggest the above option.

Do you have an image backup of your entire OS that you can restore from?

Edited by ranchhand_, 12 July 2016 - 05:08 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for your assistance. 

I do not have an image backup. 

The machine will not boot, but I hear the CD ROM spin a little bit when the power button goes on. 

I waited a year to upgrade and then bit the bullet, should have stayed with Win 7. Too late now. 

Edited by Lombardi Rahm, 13 July 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#5 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:35 PM

power cycle not successful. Heard a small hard drive boot attempt. 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

Do you get a menu screen by tapping Esc at boot?

#7 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

No

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Pull the CMOS battery out of the motherboard. When opening the computer make sure the power cord is detached. Touch bare metal on the screen. 

With the CMOS battery removed hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery and powercord. Reboot. 

Edit: It is not necessary to remove the CMOS battery to clear CMOS. See the instructions on this page for your motherboard.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03135925

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 July 2016 - 03:59 PM.

#9 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:38 PM

It came alive a little more, but then just hangs. Still no initial boot cycle, with or without Boot disc. 

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:27 AM

Did you use the jumper? See if removing the CMOS battery and holding the power button down helps. If you have an available battery replace it. Are you saying by alive a little more the fans spin and then nothing? Is there a green diode light on the back of the PSU. Is it lit?

#11 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

Yes. With the power disconnected, I moved the jumpers, per the instructions, to clear the CMOS and then put them back in their original position, without removing the battery. 

The fans and PSU light have always worked. 

The boot cycle just hangs. 

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:41 AM

Still nothing when tapping Esc from a cold boot?

Edited by hamluis, 20 July 2016 - 11:32 AM.

#13 Lombardi Rahm

Lombardi Rahm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 07:14 AM

no

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

I think at this point you should probably take the computer to a good independent shop. Either the Power Supply went bad or your BIOS has become corrupted. 

If you feel comfortable doing it, open the computer and check the PSU with a multimeter otherwise consult a professional. Pull the power plug and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Remove the side panel and touch bare metal of the case to ground yourself before touching any components.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317456

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users