Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cortana and "Email and accounts stopped working"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lithoartist

lithoartist

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

I have posted previously with the topic, Reliability Monitor and "Cortana - stopped working".  Most avenues having been explored without success, I decided to turn on Cortana.  I reach the point of "Before we get started, I'll need you to sign in with a Microsoft account".  I click the "Sign in" box.  A  grey/black box appears with a 'people' icon inside that then disappears.  This action prompts a further critical event as follows:

Description

Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy\AccountsControlHost.exe
Problem signature
Problem Event Name: MoAppCrash
Package Full Name: Microsoft.AccountsControl_10.0.10586.0_neutral__cw5n1h2txyewy
Application Name: praid:App
Application Version: 10.0.10586.122
Application Timestamp: 56cc1660
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.10586.306
Fault Module Timestamp: 571af331
Exception Code: 00000004
Exception Offset: 0000000000071f28
OS Version: 10.0.10586.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 91c1
Additional Information 2: 91c145f458d3dd2f869f5df2b1b4ba6e
Additional Information 3: 083b
Additional Information 4: 083b57526b95eda4c25c30d589032935
Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 7aaaf40c63bfe13c50e702a536579cfb (133330295941)

We haven't known each other long and I am tiring of Cortana already!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:36 PM

Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Powershell command and press Enter key.

Execute below command and press Enter key.

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart and examine Cortana and Mail app— you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

If above command does not resolve Cortana issue then reinstalled Cortana using the following procedure:

1. Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press win + X, and then press A)
  2. Type powershell and press enter
  3. Run the below commands one at time.
Get-Process searchui | Stop-Process –Force

Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Restart you computer.

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 July 2016 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

#3 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:01 AM

FreeBooter

I thank you for your constructive and detailed reply.

I have tried both your suggestions this morning.  I regret to write neither of them has had any positive effect (I wanted to add attachments to show you the Command Prompt results so that you could see they had worked as planned but am not sure how to do it).  

I restarted my PC upon completion of the commands.  Using Windows+S to get into Cortana, I was greeted with "Welcome back..." (I wonder if that is correct if Cortana has been reinstalled?), a request for permission to use my location and asked once more to sign into my Microsoft  account whereupon the square with the People icon inside reappears.

I was optimistic but feel somewhat deflated now.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

You don't need to post any screenshots test the Cortana by just searching file see Cortana search function works type Cmd.exe see Cortana founds Cmd.exe if not then Cortana still not functioning.

Posted Image

#5 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

FreeBooter

I cannot interpret your sentence properly.  Would you kindly set out the commands as you did in your earlier reply?

#6 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:43 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged with previously cited topic - Hamluis.

I have posted previously about Cortana and "Email and accounts stopped working" and being asked to sign in.  I note, having signed in to Microsoft.com independently, that while my laptop is registered and recognised, the desktop on which I am working and which is the source of the problem is not.  I wonder if this could be a contributing factor?

Edited by hamluis, 14 July 2016 - 01:08 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:06 PM

FreeBooter

I cannot interpret your sentence properly.  Would you kindly set out the commands as you did in your earlier reply?

Sorry for that english is my second language which i have learned myself its not perfect when i type very fast but if i take my time you go to sleep.

I ask you to test Cortana search function by typing cmd.exe into Start Menu search box and tell us if the search result for cmd.exe is displayed.

Posted Image

#8 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:19 PM

FreeBooter

I understand what you attempt to discover now.

Yes, it is - as "cmd.exe", followed by "Run command".

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

No below screenshot is what i want you to do and tell me if cmd.exe is shown in search result. 

dK4zINq.gif

Posted Image

#10 lithoartist

lithoartist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:28 PM

FreeBooter

Please excuse me: typing "cmd" this time produces a Command Prompt icon with "Command Prompt" alongside and "Desktop App" below; clicking this displays the Command Prompt.  Is there more?

Incidentally, I read a tutorial at https://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-reset-cortana.217395/.  May I ask you - is this of any use?

Edited by lithoartist, 14 July 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

Cortana search feature is working is there any issue you want help with Cortana.   Follow the instructions at below website link to configure Cortana. Tell us if any issue setting up Cortana and which part of the setting up Cortana with instructions from below link is the issue.

How to use and customize Cortana in Windows 10

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users