Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deploying Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tr4ce

Tr4ce

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:39 AM

Hi everyone.

I need to deploy some third party updates. End users cannot install or update anything but the OS.

Is there a way of doing it where I dont need to use GPO to uninstall and reinstall the applications? or is it going down the road of System Center Configuration Manager?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

No what software is it mate that you need to install? I do all this software deployment using batch files and WMIC commands.

For example you could change the script below to read a text file using a For loop after issuing the command (Or get the batch file to do it all for you on each subnet) "net view | find /i "\\" | sort >> %temp%\NodeList.txt" and then use the wmic /node@%temp%\NodeList.txt process call create blah blah

A sample of updating adobe reader to latest version as follows:

@ECHO OFF
TITLE Adobe Reader Installer
cls
    SET /p target=What is the name of the Target computer:
ECHO Getting Current version
wmic /node:%target% service where name="remoteregistry" call startservice
::wmic /node:%target% product where (name like 'adobe%%') get name,version
reg query \\%target%\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe /s | find /i "productversion"
::URL http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/AcrobatDC/1501720050/AcroRdrDCUpd1501720050.msp

choice /c yn /m "Continue installing?"
if %errorlevel% equ 2 GOTO end
ECHO Copying over Adobe Reader to %target%'s C:\ drive
    XCOPY /y "\\SomserverhostingTheFile\Shares\Software\AcroRdrDCUpd1501720050.msp" "\\%target%\C$"
ECHO Now installing Adobe Reader
    wmic /node:%target% process call create "msiexec.exe /quiet /update C:\AcroRdrDCUpd1501720050.msp /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES UPDATE_MODE=3"
::ping -n 90 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
cls
for /L %%n in (1,1,60) do (
ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
TITLE Updating Adobe Reader %%n
)
cls
ECHO Checking version
reg query \\%target%\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Adobe /s | find /i "productversion"
::wmic /node:%target% product where (name like 'adobe%%') get name,version
ECHO Cleaning up files..........................
    del "\\%target%\C$\AcroRdrDCUpd1501720050.msp"
    del %TMP%\PING
ECHO Done.......................................
TITLE Adobe Reader Installer
wmic /node:%target% service where name="remoteregistry" call stopservice
:end

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 12 July 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#3 Tr4ce

Tr4ce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

Hi Jon,

I've got Adobe Reader, Paint.net , Telegram Messenger and VLC player. I would just use GPO to uninstall it and reinstall the new verison but managers does want to do it that way.

Thanks for the sample. Will the admin username and pw be skipped by running a script?

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Hi Jon,

I've got Adobe Reader, Paint.net , Telegram Messenger and VLC player. I would just use GPO to uninstall it and reinstall the new verison but managers does want to do it that way.

Thanks for the sample. Will the admin username and pw be skipped by running a script?

yeh you could change that script to install all 4 items as long as you know the install switch, like installsetup.exe /install /quiet etc etc.

So to do adobe reader it would be a GPO batch file under ComputerConfig / WindowsSettings/ Startup logon / off(I know they dont want to use GPO but this isnt deploying through GPO / msi files).

Do do this with multiple installs just add a few more lines to copy the files and a few more WMIC command lines.

@ECHO OFF
XCOPY /y "\\SomeFileServer\Shares\AcroRdrDC1500920069.exe" "\\%computername%\C$"
wmic process call create "C:\AcroRdrDC1500920069.exe /sAll /msi /norestart ALLUSERS=1 EULA_ACCEPT=YES UPDATE_MODE=3"
ping -n 90 127.0.0.1 > %TMP%\PING
del "C:\AcroRdrDC1500920069.exe"
del %TMP%\PING
exit

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 13 July 2016 - 05:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users