Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router suggestion

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dman76

dman76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:01 AM

I need to replace an old D-Link DIR 655 that finally stopped working and even though I did research, I can't find a clear winner so I was hoping for some advice.  My house is 3,000 sq. ft. (basement rambler) and I have the router in a closet in the basement.  I have a wired connection to my computer and to one of the TV's but am going to get a fire stick or something for another TV that is about 50 feet away from the router.  Other than that, there is not a lot of streaming going on in the house.  We just have two phones connected to it and an occasional laptop.  I don't see any reason for me to spend over $200 for what I need and was looking at the Netgear R7000, LinkSys WRT1900, Asus AC68, or DLink DIR-880L.  What do you guys think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:08 PM

in a similar boat but about 10 years behind you I am finding out..

keep hearing about this TP-Link Archer c5..   but even the c7 seems great!

what do you think? 

oNe

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

I just got the Asus AC68 for use as my "guest" router (it runs two WiFi networks for me...a "true" guest and a normal WiFi network for close family). As I result, I have not personally used it that much as I use my primary router (Airport Extreme plus Airport Express to expand the network and stream music to speakers in the livingroom) all the time. For the brief time that I actually used it myself during testing, it definitely has great range. I have yet to get my printer to work with it, but to be fair, that might be the fault of the parallel to USB cable that I am using with it...I have a new one that needs to be installed. I am not using the option to hook up an external drive yet, but might in the near future. Setup was reasonably pain free. And if you don't need the slight AC boost or the USB 3.0 port or the TrendMicro AiProtection function, then you could consider the Asus AC66U to save about $30...and if you don't need 802.11ac, then you could consider the Asus N66U, which is less than $100. Both are otherwise fairly similar to the AC68U.

As noted, I also have an Apple Airport Extreme. The range is not quite as good as the Asus, but that is OK as I have had an Airport Express for a while that I use to extend the wifi network, stream music to the livingroom, and provide an ethernet port for a wired only device in the livingroom (no easy way to get an ethernet cable there for a true wired connection). Because of these last two features, I wanted to stick with the Airport Extreme as my primary router rather than use the Asus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users