Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD beeping and not recognized by computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:50 AM

I hope this is the right section for this.

I had issues with the main hdd on my 10 year old pc, beeping and freezing earlier today.  Actually I've had lots of issues but have managed to keep it going over the years.  This latest one seems to be terminal but I would like to be able to understand it better. 

PC (Dell E521, 250gb samsung drive, 2gb ram) on windows 7 ultimate froze, there was this constant, random beeping from the pc, but not as high pitch as the regular sound you hear when the pc freezes and you press buttons on the keybard. I turned it off and tried to restart. The first two or three times, it went to the menu screen where you have the option to start windows normally or go into safe mode or safe mode with networking.  I clicked on it to start normally but it froze shortly after starting.  Another hard shutdown and this time I get two options, start normally or go into the recovery mode.  I tried starting it normally the first time but it still froze, the next attempt I accidentally pressed recovery mode but turned it off shortly after, but before the recovery mode screen was up.

After that the computer no longer recognizes anything on the first hdd slot. I get a message saying 'No Boot Device Detected, Insert System Disk and Press F1 to Continue or press F2 to Setup Menu. 

I eventually took out the drive and replaced it with this old 20gb 2.5'' drive that I installed windows 7 onto earlier this year which is what I'm using now as the main drive. 

Based on my description, does it sound like this is the end of the drive or could it be something I did, turning it off while it was about to go into recovery mode, that caused the computer to stop recognizing it? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Actually I've had lots of issues but have managed to keep it going over the years

Most likely this drive was failing, it just took a long time to finally die. There is no way that you can physically damage a hard drive by operating system misuse, unless you physically do something to it and it doesn't sound like you did that.

If you really want to satisfy your suspicions you can test the drive as follows:

Go here and download Seatools For DOS (free)
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Accept the EULA and download the ISO file.
When download is complete burn the ISO to a CD or DVD.
Make sure your BIOS is set to:   1st Boot Device = CD drive, 2nd Boot Device = Hard Drive.
When the program opens, click the upper left corner for the Long Test.
> Note: if you get a pop-up window telling you that SMART has tripped and asking if you want to continue, choose Yes. If SMART has tripped, the drive is failing/has failed.
At the end of the test, you will get either a Pass or Fail notice.
Be sure to have your hard drive directly installed internally to the motherboard, not in an external case.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I went out and bought a new WD blue to use as my main OS.

I've noticed though, with my temporary 20gb backup drive which contains the OS that I've experienced some similar hanging and freezing as the old drive. Twice I've had to turn it off at the windows start screen because it took too long to start up.  

This is an old 20gb drive from my xbox 360, not as badly word as my old drive. I have windows 7 installed and just the essential drivers for the wifi card and gpu, adobe reader, GPU-Z and Speccy.  There is 2.88GB still free.  Maybe it's just a slower HDD, I don't know if a different drive exhibiting similar issues as the old one would indicate anything wrong with something else on the pc but I'm monitoring it for a bit before changing another hard drive. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:31 AM

Please run the Speccy and post the link in your topic.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

A computer of this age could be facing different types of failures.  One that I would expect would be electrolytic capacitors to start failing.  The electrolytics breakdown over time and will eventually fail.  The specific ones you should check are on the motherboard.  You can see examples of what bad capacitors look like here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for that. I'll see about uploading my specs in the morning.  

It's running slow now, maybe all the open tabs on chrome that I have on different computer related topics, or the automatic windows update that downloaded filling this 18gb main hdd to it's capacity.  But there is no beeping noise (i'll try to upload that as well), since I changed the main hard drive. 

I do see a bunch of bad transistors with bumps and rusty bits coming out the top, looks like they have a bad outbreak of herpes. 

#7 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:41 AM

A computer of this age could be facing different types of failures.  One that I would expect would be electrolytic capacitors to start failing.  The electrolytics breakdown over time and will eventually fail.  The specific ones you should check are on the motherboard.  You can see examples of what bad capacitors look like here.

Is there anything in my specs in particular you want to know? There's an awful lot of info on this speccy screen grab, I'm halfway embarrassed and a little paranoid posting my full specs online. 

I've installed Win7 on the new drive, spent most of the day downloading and installing drivers and programs and a good portion of the afternoon trying to log into my email and various other accounts which I don't have the passwords to. I also managed to get deep into the case and fan assembly and pulled out a fistful of gunk and dust. 

The new drive seems to be running faster that the backup 20gb I was using the past few days. Chrome slows it down a lot and I thought I heard a different beep coming from the pc (different from the one I heard the other day) but I can't be sure so I'll monitor it closely in the coming days. 

EDIT: I'll see if I can edit out some of the network stuff on speccy and post the results later. I Also have a pic of the bad transistors you told me about but I can't log onto photobucket right at this moment. 

Edited by j1983, 14 July 2016 - 07:42 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

What you can see and what is included in the Speccy you post are different.  The only personal information is possibly your first name.

There is a forum titled Tests and Scribbles where you can post the Speccy to see what is contained.  Once you have viewed it you can delete it from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users