Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 0x80070005, Access Denied -- Need help ASAP

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:28 PM

Okay, so I can't ever remember having this problem before... but now it's an issue.

Simply put, I wanted to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10, since it handles Retina displays much better than 7. But before that, I want to back up my files. So, I attempt to run backup, but as soon as I click start... I get the "Error code 0x80070005. Access is denied."

Tried a number of solutions I found on Google and Microsoft's website, including checking system services, turning off Avira temporarily, taking ownership of the external hard drive, running backup as administrator, and extending the drive partition to include some unallocated space at the top of the disk, but none of this worked. I still got the error.

Next, I tried AOMEI's free backup software, but it could not detect my operating system drive! In fact, it said I have 46GB of unallocated space in the middle of my Windows partition, which is weird because that doesn't show up in any other software... it can't even detect that any partition is NTFS. Granted, the partition setup on my internal drive is a (functioning) mess, but that really is strange...

At any rate, I'm trying to backup my files to a Toshiba Canvio External, which has 700+ GB free space and is formatted NTFS. I need help ASAP as the free upgrade is no longer available after July 29th...help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:44 PM

Are you having issue running Backup and Restore wizard.

Uninstall all third party antivirus programs.

Please try below troubleshooting steps.

1. Boot your computer into Safe Modeif the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

2. Open Command Prompt as a administrator and type Sfc /Scannow command and press Enter key to repair any damage Windows system files.

In case you are unable to start the System File Checker and you instead get the “Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service” error, you may want to check up if Windows Modules Installer service has been Disabled. To do so, type services.msc in Start Menu search box and hit Enter. The startup type of this service should be set to Manual. Double click the Windows Modules Installer service name to set its startup type to Manual.

3. Type Chkdsk C: /r  command to repair C: partition NTFS file system errors and mark bad sectors.

4. Check the Event Viewer for any error or warning logs that may give you clue what is causing the issue.

5. Run the bach script from the below link this script will restores Windows services default startup settings.

Set Windows Services To Default Startup

Edited by FreeBooter, 11 July 2016 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

#3 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 01:55 PM

Will try these later tonight, but in particular...

Are you having issue running Backup and Restore wizard.

Uninstall all third party antivirus programs.

Must I really uninstall Avira? Or can I just temporarily disable it?

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Disabling any antivirus will not stop antivirus handle on file system you should uninstall it completely backup your settings for Avira antivirus you can restore your setting when you want to reinstall the Avira antivirus.

Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

Are you using an administrator account when you try this?

If you wish to backup your data you should use removable media to store it.  Such as an external hdd, flash drive, cloud account, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:38 PM

Are you using an administrator account when you try this?

If you wish to backup your data you should use removable media to store it.  Such as an external hdd, flash drive, cloud account, etc.

Yes, I am using an admin account. I am attempting to backup to an external Toshiba Canvio 1TB, as mentioned in the initial post.

Disabling any antivirus will not stop antivirus handle on file system you should uninstall it completely backup your settings for Avira antivirus you can restore your setting when you want to reinstall the Avira antivirus.

Okay, I uninstalled Avira and attempted your suggestions.

1.  Booted into Safe Mode. Backup is not available from Safe Mode -- Only System Restore, and for that matter, I can't create restore points, only restore to them.
  2. Ran Sfc/ scannow and came back "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
  3. Ran Chkdsk. No bad sectors reported.
  4. Checked Event Viewer. I can't find anything directly related to attempting backup. No errors, no anything. No information given when I attempt to run backup and then refresh it. If you have any idea what I could set filters to, that would help.
  5. Ran the batch script. There were a few failures "Access is Denied" along the way but I was unable to see them because the window cleared to tell me it was successful.

I also decided to run a Chkdsk on the external... it gets to step 4 of 5, to 10% complete, and then hangs. It's not frozen, but it just stops doing anything. Every single time. I will try again here in a few minutes.

EDIT:  Ran again twice. It seems to hang about ~4170 files into the file data verification and memory usage climbs to 15.4 GB before leveling off... but nothing is happening, even though the light on my external is flashing as is something is processing.

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 13 July 2016 - 01:12 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 01:39 AM

Toshiba does not provide any diagnosis tool for HDD for personal users.

If the drive is out of warranty, you can try removing the drive from the external enclosure and mount it inside your PC. You can then try formatting from the PC. This will at least eliminate the external enclosure as the source of the problem. Sometime the electronics within the enclosure go bad, but the drive will still be good.

There is a check warranty link on this page. If the drive is still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement.

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/design-support/partnumber/storage-products.html

HDDScan
is a portable hard drive testing program for Windows that can run various tests on all sorts of internal and external hard drives. The program is easy to use and all the optional features are easily accessible.

Make sure not to interrupt Chkdsk command even if it looks like frozen checking for errors can take long time much as 30 minutes even day it depends of the storage size of the HDD. Execute Chkdsk  X: /x  /r   command replace the X: drive letter with external HDD drive letter.

Posted Image

#8 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

Toshiba does not provide any diagnosis tool for HDD for personal users.

If the drive is out of warranty, you can try removing the drive from the external enclosure and mount it inside your PC. You can then try formatting from the PC. This will at least eliminate the external enclosure as the source of the problem. Sometime the electronics within the enclosure go bad, but the drive will still be good.

There is a check warranty link on this page. If the drive is still under warranty, you should be able to get a replacement.

http://toshiba.semicon-storage.com/us/design-support/partnumber/storage-products.html

HDDScan
is a portable hard drive testing program for Windows that can run various tests on all sorts of internal and external hard drives. The program is easy to use and all the optional features are easily accessible.

Make sure not to interrupt Chkdsk command even if it looks like frozen checking for errors can take long time much as 30 minutes even day it depends of the storage size of the HDD. Execute Chkdsk  X: /x  /r   command replace the X: drive letter with external HDD drive letter.

The drive is under warranty. I have no clue if the drive is the problem right now though.

FYI, I have a Macbook with Boot Camp so there is no way for me to just swap the drives out like you suggest.

Running a Chkdsk for the drive on another computer atm, and it stopped at 4174 files into stage 4 again... I will let it sit for a few hours and see if it does anything.

As for HDDScan, what options should I check?

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:57 AM

Let the Chkdsk do its repair as you said for few hours what chkdsk is doing is trying to recover data store within bad sector that is its taking long time on one or more sector. With HDDScan check for bad sectors and view SMART health report i myself have not use this program for long time so i don't remember its options very well.

Posted Image

#10 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

Let the Chkdsk do its repair as you said for few hours what chkdsk is doing is trying to recover data store within bad sector that is its taking long time on one or more sector. With HDDScan check for bad sectors and view SMART health report i myself have not use this program for long time so i don't remember its options very well.

The Chkdsk finished and did a few repairs but I'm still getting the error when I try to backup.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Can you please run Chkdsk X: /f command again just to make sure NTFS file system is completely repaired. The /f parameter use with chkdsk command will not take much time to repair errors not like /r parameter. Can you please take a screenshot of the error message for us to view.

Open the Command Prompt as a Administrator and type icacls X:   | Clip command and press Enter key to copy output of the icacls command to clipboard right click empty era of your next post and select Paste from context menu.

Posted Image

#12 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:05 PM

Can you please run Chkdsk X: /f command again just to make sure NTFS file system is completely repaired. The /f parameter use with chkdsk command will not take much time to repair errors not like /r parameter. Can you please take a screenshot of the error message for us to view.

Open the Command Prompt as a Administrator and type icacls X:   | Clip command and press Enter key to copy output of the icacls command to clipboard right click empty era of your next post and select Paste from context menu.

Here is the results of the icacls for M:

M: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(CI)(F)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(F)
   BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(F)
   BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

For C:

C: NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(F)
   NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller:(CI)(IO)(F)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(M)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
   BUILTIN\Administrators:(M)
   BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
   BUILTIN\Users:(RX)
   BUILTIN\Users:(OI)(CI)(IO)(GR,GE)
   CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Chkdsk /f result: 
cmd.png

Error message when attempting backup:

error2.png

I also today ran a batch script Microsoft provides for the same error code with Windows Update (found here), but it had no effect either.

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 14 July 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

Make sure external drive has full permission for Everyone group and take ownership of the external drive. Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type below commands one at time.

Takeown /F M:\  /R  /D Y

Icacls M:  /grant  %username%:F  

Icacls M:  /grant  Everyone:F

Download  below Microsoft Fix it tool the Fix it Center finds and fixes many common PC and device problems automatically.

Microsoft Fix it Center Portable 3.5.0.41

Edited by FreeBooter, 14 July 2016 - 11:03 PM.

Posted Image

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:12 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File and Reset File Permissionsş Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Posted Image

#15 TechlessOS_3211

TechlessOS_3211
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 03:56 PM

Make sure external drive has full permission for Everyone group and take ownership of the external drive. Open the Command Prompt as a administrator and type below commands one at time.

Takeown /F M:\  /R  /D Y

Icacls M:  /grant  %username%:F  

Icacls M:  /grant  Everyone:F

No effect.

Download  below Microsoft Fix it tool the Fix it Center finds and fixes many common PC and device problems automatically.
Microsoft Fix it Center Portable 3.5.0.41

Couldn't download from any computer on the network... I mean, I could download what you linked me to, but I could not get any of the components that it wanted to download while open.

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File and Reset File Permissionsş Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet check boxes and click Start Repair button.

This worked! I am running backup now. Thank you!

Edited by TechlessOS_3211, 15 July 2016 - 03:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users