Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White Flickering Screen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 MNN8TV

MNN8TV

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:45 PM

My laptop had tons of problems in it's first year and after having to go to BBB :thumbup2: , Dell finally took responsibility! :smash: . They sent me a tech to my home and he replaced my motherboard and the whole screen and lid due to black and color flickering screen. This was about 9 months ago and laptop has worked awesome UNTIL Microsoft snuck in that Windows 10 download. :nono: I get up to go to the kitchen and come back and Windows 10 is downloading without my permission! :nono: It was at 10% and I freaked as I didn't want it. So I turned my laptop off. Well all seemed fine when I started it back up, but then ever since my screen flickers white starting at the bottom and slowly covers the entire screen. I found adjusting the screen tilt all the way back kept it from doing that. But recently even that is not working so well. I have Windows 8.1 64bit and I even reformatted my laptop to see if it would correct the problem. :scratchhead: But it didn't. It is doing the same thing. Pressing on the screen does not trigger the white flickering screen, only adjusting the screen tilt. I sure don't want to go to GeekSquad and pay those prices. I am a little techie repair wise - I replaced a Tivo hard drive and fan (that was cake) and also watched a YouTube video and replaced an iphone battery. If easy enough to replace something that would be great. Hope someone knows how to help me. :bowdown: Thank you.

PS - sorry with the sideway pictures, I am obviously having issues with my cell camera as well. :grinner:

Attached File  20160711_192324.jpg   39.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20160711_192530.jpg   56.7KB   0 downloadsAttached File  20160711_192539.jpg   83.79KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

Uninstall currently install graphic card driver and install latest version of the graphic card driver.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:27 AM

What is the model of this Dell?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 greywarrior

greywarrior

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:50 PM

Here's what I do not know. You reformatted the disc and it was still giving you the white screen stuff with win 8. I wonder if there is anything on the disc that is still there. I read a disc that had both windows and Linux partition on the same space. I don't know how it was done. I wiped the disc clean and started fresh. You may want to read the actual sectors and see if there is anything strange on it. Try the 'Ultimate Boot cd'. It's free and easy to use. Burn a copy and load it like you would a boot-able disc. There are utilities that will allow you to read your sectors directly. Also there are a few utilities that will allow you to wipe that disc clean. Then you can do a fresh installation of win 8.

#5 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

Just a note to all - I am not super techie when it comes to computers. I just kinda know a few of the basics. 

FootBooter - Are you talking about under device manager/display adapters? What is there is Intel HD graphic family. I did update that and it said it is fine. Is that what you are saying to uninstall?

Dc3 - It's a Dell Inspiron 15  7537

Graywarrior - That is just a bit over my head, sorry. Appreciate it.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

Yes i'm uninstall and reinstall Intel HD graphic driver.

Posted Image

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

You can find the driver here under the Video drivers.  The driver at the top of the list is the latest, Jan. 2016.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

FreeBooter - I uninstalled it and restarted laptop - it is still doing it.

dc3 - I went to the link you gave above for video drivers and I don't see any for 2016, last was 9/2015. There are 2 different ones. Just copied below the ones it shows. 

nVIDIA GeForce 750M Media Accelerator HD Driver  View details
File Name: Video_Driver_8G6W3_WN_9.18.13.3165_A03.EXE
Importance: Recommended

Description: Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (309.54 MB)
Release Date: 22 Oct 2014

Version: 9.18.13.3165 ,A03
Last Updated: 01 Oct 2015

This file will automatically self-install after downloading. Restart required

Intel HD Graphics 4000/5000 Driver  View details
File Name: Video_Driver_WX14C_WN_10.18.10.3574_A03.EXE
Importance: Recommended

Description: Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (154.93 MB)
Release Date: 04 Jul 2014

Version: 10.18.10.3574 ,A03
Last Updated: 01 Oct 2015

This file will automatically self-install after downloading. Restart required

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

Install the graphic card drivers from Dell link see what happens if issue wont resolve we will help you install latest version of the drivers.

Posted Image

#10 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:51 PM

FreeBooter - ok I tried the first one and got this message:

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue

The graphics driver could not find compatible graphic hardware

The second driver did install but did not solve the issue. 

I really appreciate your help

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:54 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Posted Image

#12 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:04 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GAw4AOW6rQM3mNFGjl3RU82

Hope I did this right

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

You laptop does not have NVIDIA graphic card. Uninstall currently installed HD Graphic driver and install latest version of HD Graphics driver.

Downloads for Intel® HD Graphics 4400 for 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors

Posted Image

#14 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:28 AM

Do I just click on the uninstall Intel HD graphic family? I did that earlier and then when laptop restarted it was still there. Sorry, what order do I do this in? Thanks

#15 MNN8TV

MNN8TV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

Ok, I tried installing version 15.36.31.4 dated 5/13/16 and I got an error message that said "This installation package is not supported by this processor type"

do I try the next one down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users