Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perplexed by Puppy terminal...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:22 PM

Greets all,

I've been doing some more playing with Puppy, and can't seem to figure out the terminal.  I know that since Puppy runs as root, I don't have to use "sudo", but other than a few basic things, I haven't been able to use it for anything. Is there a specific set of commands/tasks for Puppy? :scratchhead:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 11 July 2016 - 09:22 PM.

Whatever it was...I didn't do it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:38 PM

Nope, it's pretty much like any other terminal out there. Or should be anyway. What are you trying to do?

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

Nope, it's pretty much like any other terminal out there. Or should be anyway. What are you trying to do?

Just trying to install a few things and run some things like netstat, inxi, etc

One example would be how to install fonts to it.  I'm used to sudo apt-get install for stuff like that..maybe I got spoiled by Ubuntu/Mint :P

edit-be back tomorrow

Edited by 66Batmobile, 11 July 2016 - 10:06 PM.

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

As far as I'm aware, Puppy uses Ash commands, which are a sub-set of Bash, so not every command is available to you ... http://puppylinux.org/wikka/AshCommands

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:37 AM

As far as I'm aware, Puppy uses Ash commands, which are a sub-set of Bash, so not every command is available to you ...

That's interesting, I'd never heard of "Ash commands." There are many commands that aren't available in Puppy, but there are more than are in that list. Off-hand, ls works and so does killall, neither of which are in that list.

One example would be how to install fonts to it. I'm used to sudo apt-get install

There is no apt-get in Puppy. The default way to install things is using Puppy Package Manager, which you'll find either in the Menu or by clicking the "install" icon on the desktop.

To install software that isn't in the repositories you may need to load a devx file (which is easier than it sounds) beforehand.

What Puppy are you using?

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,969 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

To list all commands available, run
compgen -c
Here's a list of all available commands in Tahr Puppy:

Spoiler

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

Just trying to install a few things and run some things like netstat, inxi, etc

One example would be how to install fonts to it.  I'm used to sudo apt-get install for stuff like that..maybe I got spoiled by Ubuntu/Mint :P

Ah yeah. As others said you don't have the apt-get on it as you do in Ubuntu (even the one based off it I believe).

A bit of googling shows something that gives you apt-get on puppy... though it apparently doesn't work all to well (from what I've seen so far anyway). So I wouldn't try it.

Installing certain programs you could always just get a tar.gz version of the install, and install it manually. May take a bit more than usual though.

Or as suggested use the puppy package manager.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#8 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

. . . playing with Puppy . . .

Out of curiosity, are you running it from a CD/DVD or from a USB stick in persistence mode?

Everything I have read about Puppy Linux points to running it as a Live distro, and not as a HDD install.

You may want to read this, http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20NOT%20to%20install%20Puppy.htm , if you are running it from your HDD.

Cheers!

Naught

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:30 PM

Puppy runs fine from an HDD.....as long as you install it in 'frugal' mode, where the core, 'read-only' files that make up the system remain in their compressed, SFS package format.

It's when you try to install Puppy in traditional, 'full' install mode that the problems start..

I run over a dozen 'Pups' from HDD, all as 'frugals', and have had no real problems to speak of. Nothing that couldn't be quickly sorted out with help from the very enthusiastic 'Puppy' community..!

Mike.  :wink: 

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 July 2016 - 12:31 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

What Puppy are you using?

TahrPup 6.0.5

Thanks for that list!

Out of curiosity, are you running it from a CD/DVD or from a USB stick in persistence mode?

Everything I have read about Puppy Linux points to running it as a Live distro, and not as a HDD install.

For playing with (figuring out how to do things) I use a finalized CD, so if I mess up, I can just start over.  Then, if I decide I like something enough to want it on hand, I use the multi session CD I made by following Al100's tutorial:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

A few little things have changed with Puppy since that was written, but the majority still applies.

Installing certain programs you could always just get a tar.gz version of the install, and install it manually. May take a bit more than usual though.

Or as suggested use the puppy package manager.

Noted...I did find a few mentions tar.gz, still fuzzy on what's involved...haven't played with the package manager much...should probably do that too...

Thanks all! :thumbup2:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 12 July 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

Batmobile, if you want to install inxi & netstat, you'll find both those packages in the Tahrpup PPM. As for fonts; which fonts are you after? The MS 'corefonts' package? You'll find that in the package manager, too.

In each case, simply type what you're looking for into the 'Search' field. Click on 'search', then you'll be asked if you want to search a specific repo, or all of them. I usually choose 'All', as it guarantees you'll find it, if it's there.

Like I said, though, update the databases before you start searching for anything. It's a good idea to do this periodically, too.....say, once a month or so.

As for installing programs/apps, you can either use the PPM, or you can use the 'Quickpet' feature. (Menu>Setup>Quickpet Tahr. This gives you a selection of popular, commonly requested programs. The only snag with Quickpet, I find, is that although it will install the program itself, it doesn't always get all the dependencies right.....which is why I normally use the PPM. Either that, or browse through the 'Additional Software' sub-forum on the Puppy Linux Forums:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63&sid=a7f709dc4086f85602089d8b9946f4e5

There's an astonishing number of members, both past and present, who've developed .pet or SFS packages over the years.....and in many cases, even if the member concerned has long since ceased to frequent the Forum, their repos are still operational. The amount of material that's available is mind-boggling. I've been browsing the Puppy Forums for over two years now.....and I've barely scratched the surface. Whatever you want, if the PPM hasn't got it, someone, somewhere, will have compiled/developed it at some point over the years.

I, too, used to use the terminal in the 'buntus to install stuff, simply because I found it was both quicker, and easier. You just get used to doing things a slightly different way with Puppy, that's all.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 July 2016 - 05:47 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

Batmobile, if you want to install inxi & netstat, you'll find both those packages in the Tahrpup PPM. As for fonts; which fonts are you after? The MS 'corefonts' package? You'll find that in the package manager, too.

In each case, simply type what you're looking for into the 'Search' field. Click on 'search', then you'll be asked if you want to search a specific repo, or all of them. I usually choose 'All', as it guarantees you'll find it, if it's there.

Like I said, though, update the databases before you start searching for anything. It's a good idea to do this periodically, too.....say, once a month or so.

As for installing programs/apps, you can either use the PPM, or you can use the 'Quickpet' feature. (Menu>Setup>Quickpet Tahr. This gives you a selection of popular, commonly requested programs. The only snag with Quickpet, I find, is that although it will install the program itself, it doesn't always get all the dependencies right.....which is why I normally use the PPM.

Yep, the corefonts...that was one of the things I did try in PPM, but all I found was the installer, which didn't do anything as far as I could tell...

I didn't know netstat and such needed to be installed-Just thought stuff like that was already part of every terminal.

What I like about the terminal in general is that using it for tasks and other stuff, I can usually get a sense of what's going on when I'm running something in it, even if I don't 100% understand it (ok, that should probably read "barely understand it" :P ).  As opposed to just clicking through a wizard, or other GUI and seeing nothing but "Done" when it finishes.  Just trying to get some of that happening in puppy.

Thanks Mike_W :thumbsup2:

Edited by 66Batmobile, 12 July 2016 - 07:14 PM.

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

Here's a list of all available commands in Tahr Puppy:

Glad you put that in a spoiler, Al.

"killpup" sounds like cruelty to animals, lol.

:wizardball:

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

As for installing programs/apps, you can either use the PPM, or you can use the 'Quickpet' feature. (Menu>Setup>Quickpet Tahr. This gives you a selection of popular, commonly requested programs. The only snag with Quickpet, I find, is that although it will install the program itself, it doesn't always get all the dependencies right.....which is why I normally use the PPM.

Yep, the corefonts...that was one of the things I did try in PPM, but all I found was the installer, which didn't do anything as far as I could tell...

I didn't know netstat and such needed to be installed-Just thought stuff like that was already part of every terminal.

What I like about the terminal in general is that using it for tasks and other stuff, I can usually get a sense of what's going on when I'm running something in it, even if I don't 100% understand it (ok, that should probably read "barely understand it" :P ).  As opposed to just clicking through a wizard, or other GUI and seeing nothing but "Done" when it finishes.  Just trying to get some of that happening in puppy.

Thanks Mike_W :thumbsup2:

I can understand you might think stuff like inxi, etc., would be standard, coming from 'buntu-based distros. Ubuntu & its derivatives do include virtually everything OOTB.

Puppy does, too.....but all Puppy apps are very much more lightweight, in keeping with Puppy's philosophy. Inxi, netstat, etc, are available through the 'Trusty' repos in Tahrpup; they're just not included by default. With Puppy it's more a case of customizing your OS at a rather earlier stage in the game, if you want specific items.

Not everybody likes the 'lightweight' stuff; and, TBH, we all get used to certain apps, and doing things in a particular way. That's the conundrum with Linux, in a way.... Choice? What choice? Heeeeelp; too much choice..!  :P

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#15 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:33 AM

[Mike Walsh posted]

With Puppy it's more a case of customizing your OS at a rather earlier stage in the game, if you want specific items.

we all get used to certain apps, and doing things in a particular way. That's the conundrum with Linux, in a way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Mike,

You are certainly right.

When I migrated from Windows environment it took me awhile to get away from the Windows habits I had become so use to using.

They just don't apply to anything when using Linux and when it is said "Linux isn't Windows" no truer words were ever spoken.

Yes it took a little bit to change my old Windows habits and realize that Linux doesn't require the maintenance that Windows does as it just works as it does once configured to what you want to do with it and to your liking.

When I started to use Puppy Linux it was a wee bit of a learning curve as Puppy is quite different as to how it works compared to the standard OEM Linux distros I had become accustom to using.

Again I had to change some of my new Linux habits I learned as they just don't work when using Puppy.

Quickpet and Puppy Package manager are your best friend as to what software is readily available to be downloaded in Puppy.

There are a lot of software deb packages that can also be downloaded and install easily from third party resources but there are a lot that just aren't designed to run in Puppy as Puppy does run as root administrator.

In my case Puppy comes with everything I really need right out of the box and the extras that I have installed were all easily found through the PPM and the ones that weren't I was able to find in a deb package.

Puppy is a whole new world IMO and easy to learn to navigate if one has the desire to learn to do things the Puppy way which is why it has the advantages over the standard OEM Linux distro.

This of course is only based from my own personal experience.

IMO Puppies are mans best friend.

Edited by vacuum-tube, 13 July 2016 - 06:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users