Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive shows as unallocated in Disk Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dacar92

Dacar92

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:45 PM

Hi,

I just finished this build and loaded Windows 10.  I have a SSD that Windows is loaded on.  Since I didn't have enough sata data cables I used one for the SSD and the other for the optical drive to get some drivers loaded.  Once I didn't need the optical drive any longer I switched the data cable to the 2 Tb HDD.  I also used a different sata connector on the Motherboard.  The disk shows up in the disk manager but as allocated after I initialized it.  The drive is empty.  

Any thoughts?

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:00 PM

The disk shows up in the disk manager but as allocated after I initialized it.  The drive is empty.

Do you mean unallocated, as per the title? If I understand your post correctly to mean you have a new (therefore empty) 2TB drive that you have just initialized, then that sounds normal, the space has not been allocated to any partitions. You can right click on the unallocated space and create whatever partition or partitions you want on the drive.

Please explain further if I've misunderstood.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

You are correct in how you read my post.  The drive is brand new, no data, just installed today.  I thought it would show up immediately in My PC as a usable drive.  Just like an external drive or flash drive does. 

What's the point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes? -- The Doctor

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:10 PM

No, brand new internal hard drives are not normally supplied partitioned or formatted, as the requirement for it to be initialized on first connection indicates. The HDD manufacturer of course has no idea how you might want the drive partitioned up or what file systems you might want to use on it. It's all your own choice! :)

Edited by Platypus, 11 July 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#5 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:16 PM

Thanks!  It's solved.  And I feel like an idiot!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:36 PM

Glad it's sorted. I hope I didn't say anything to make you feel bad, we all do some head scratching the first time we encounter an unfamiliar scenario.

#7 Dacar92

Dacar92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

Glad it's sorted. I hope I didn't say anything to make you feel bad, we all do some head scratching the first time we encounter an unfamiliar scenario.

No, you're good.  I just feel like I should have remembered that. It's like forgetting to hook up the CPU power and wondering why the computer won't boot up.   :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users