Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sunjavaupdatesched

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HPJ

HPJ

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hello all. I have recently discovered this program added to my current process list. I have run all spyware programs and nothing has been resolved. I have also booted in safe mode and tried running spyware programs, and found nothing will work in safe mode.

I ran this program.....
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
......and booted in safe mode and ran it. I found 2 processes I don't recognize....

Posted Image

When I try to click next to SunJavaUpdateSched and TkBellExe, I get this error.....

Posted Image

So it virtually makes it where you can't select it, since those 2 are listed twice, with one already being checked. After this I googled the sunjava, and found a program called TrueSword. It identified the sunjava, but its a cheesy free trial program do it didn't remove squat.

So now I am back at square one........looking for the fix. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Do you have two versions of JRE (1.4x and 1.5x) and Realplayer installed?
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

This is what symantec says about True Sword:
"TrueSword is a Security Risk that may give exaggerated reports of threats on the computer. The program then prompts the user to purchase a registered version of the software in order to remove the reported threats."

It is also detected by Spybot Search and Destroy

If you have either Spybot, WinPatrol or Windows Defender you can use either program to stop the two programs you are concerned about from running at startup.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 HPJ

HPJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:32 PM

Do you have two versions of JRE (1.4x and 1.5x) and Realplayer installed?
Cheers,
John

I have JRE versions 1.4.1_02 and version 1.4.2_03 installed. Realplayer is installed also, I purchased the full player software FWIW.

If you have either Spybot, WinPatrol or Windows Defender you can use either program to stop the two programs you are concerned about from running at startup.

Thanks, I'll try it with Spybot.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

You can also turn off automatic update for Sun Java. control panel/ right click on coffee cup/select update/ uncheck automatic update

You should delete the oldest java program.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:02 PM

Hello HPJ, your java appears like it could be out of date.
Its important to always have the latest update on your system in oder to prevent a breach in security, however, saying that is easier said than done right now.

At the moment there has been some confusion over what exactly the latest version is and how to find it. Have a look at this forum topic HERE to see a run down on what some of us here at BC have been finding out. I would recommend following the latest update link found there and to download the new java. To run a check to see if you have the latest version try going
HERE,it will inform you what version you have. If you read the first link, you will see the the sort of thing it should display.

Before you attempt any updates, delete your older versions in the add/remove options in the control panel and then download and update to the latest version.

Edited by graveangel, 12 August 2006 - 10:10 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users