Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice for “best” Win10 install media

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:13 PM

Since I’m a system image backup and recovery media person I need advice on selecting the best method to create Win10 fresh install media so I can save that media in case I ever need it in the future.

So far I have done this:

Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 / How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

I created 2 of them: one with system files included and the other without system files included

Even though I do not use the built-in either one of the Win10 system image backup programs, I created a System Repair disc just the same.

I use MRF for system image backups on a monthly basis and have created their Win PE Rescue onto a DVD-RW

I have 2 Win10 desktops that have been upgraded from their prior OS’s and they run fine: plus I plan on purchasing a Win10 Pro laptop in about a year.

--- I have a Win10 Pro desktop upgraded fromWin7 Pro with BIOS

--- A Win10 desktop upgraded from Win8.1 with UEFI

--- About a year from now I plan on buying a Win10 Pro laptop, which I imagine, will have UEFI

For creating Win10 install media (this is what I need advice on)

I have looked at

How to Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI

--- This looks interesting to me

I have also looked at

Windows 10 ISO Download / How to Download a Windows 10 ISO File

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9230-windows-10-iso-download.html

Option One: To Directly Download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft TechBench

Option Two: To Download Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool

Advice please

I’ll use the appropriate procedure on each computer and just store the USB in case it’s ever needed.

--- Also I don’t mind creating up-to-date versions as time goes on

--- With whatever Microsoft does in the future I want o stay on top of what my computers need to stay up-to-date

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:44 PM

Take a look at the Media Creation Tool here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 .  That'll give you what you want.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

Thanks Niweg, I will do that.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Niweg. It went well and the computer runs just like new as I expect it to.

--- Actually I didn't just create the media, I downloaded and installed the ISO because I wanted to see how it goes

--- I had a MR system image backup ready in case it would be needed

Edited by cmptrgy, 13 July 2016 - 12:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users