Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't login anymore, Why? (Linux Mint - Cinnamon 17.2)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

Hi all,

I'm having a login problem, my login password doesn't work anymore.  I can't seem to figure out why... I'm hoping someone here would be nice and help this long time (since the dark ages of the 1980s) DOS & Win user.

Details:
This is a Linux Mint W cinnamon desktop.  Version 17.2 (I think, it's the current version for sure.)
During my last successful login, I was able to successfully use the 'File Explorer' to verify a bunch of old floppies in my USB attached floppy drive.  However, in the middle of all this verification, I went to lunch & when I returned, the screen-saver had deployed.  It prompted me for a password (I assumed my login pwd) I entered it, but the screen-saver wouldn't accept it, despite trying toggling both the caps-lock, num-lock, & even trying to type "admin".  Nothing I tried would work so I then shut-down thinking that my pwd would then work, but nope...

At that point, all I knew to do was wipe everything & reinstall, but I hate to lose all that I've set so far.  So, I decided to wait & ask for help & clarification first.

I'm pretty new to Linux, but am a long-time DOS & Win user as stated above...

Is there a CFG file editing fix for this??? (short of a reinstall, of course)

If there is, please enlighten me!   :)

Edited by PieLam, 11 July 2016 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

A brief search finds this: Reset forgotten/lost main user password in Linux Mint 12+ - Linux Mint Community

Note that is for Mint 12+ and the comments will be helpful as to later versions such as yours.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

It may have been asking for the root password (which idk why it would unless you needed to run as SU)

Normally the root password would be toor. but if you have forgotten it see if this helps.

if you haven't already added a root password i would do so. ( sudo passwd root ) follow prompt)

1. Reboot your computer / Turn your computer on.
  2. Hold down the Shift key at the start of the boot process to enable the GNU GRUB boot menu (if it does not show)
  3. Press ESC at the GNU GRUB prompt.
  4. Press e for edit.
  5. Use the Arrow keys to highlight the line that begins with kernel and press the e key.
  6. Go to the very end of the line and add rw init=/bin/bash
  7. Press Enter and then press b to boot your system.
  8. Your system will boot up to a passwordless root shell.
  9. Type in passwd yourusername
  10. Set your new password.
  11. Restart your system.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

It may have been asking for the root password

The root account is disabled on Mint (and other Ubuntu based distros) by default.

#5 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:09 PM

It may have been asking for the root password

The root account is disabled on Mint (and other Ubuntu based distros) by default.

i have mint 17.3 (Rosa) and mine was enabled from the get go

hQBT2G3.png

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:20 PM

i have mint 17.3 (Rosa) and mine was enabled from the get go

Really? So you had the option to log in as your username, or as root?

I have installed many versions of Linux Mint and the root account has always been disabled by default.

#7 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

buddy215, on 11 Jul 2016 - 2:36 PM, said:

A brief search finds this: Reset forgotten/lost main user password in Linux Mint 12+ - Linux Mint Community

(I, unfortunately, didn't think of doing a search) :(   Thanks for that!
I followed the steps (twice) and they seemed to work, but at the Login window, I entered my pwd and it still wouldn't work...  I don't understand why this is...

Note that is for Mint 12+ and the comments will be helpful as to later versions such as yours.

Yes, there were a few minor differences, such as in my version, the Grub menu appears automatically.  (No need for me to hold down the shift key)
And one of the comments from a dude in China said he deleted keyring (???)  I didn't know anything about that so, I ignored his comment.

#8 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

Viper_Security, on 11 Jul 2016 - 2:57 PM, said:
It may have been asking for the root password (which idk why it would unless you needed to run as SU)

Not that I know of.

if you haven't already added a root password i would do so. ( sudo passwd root )

I tried that, but Grub said that Sudo is not a valid command...  I'm guessing that Sudo is a terminal command???  Which I'm further guessing that I would need to be able to login???

2.Hold down the Shift key at the start of the boot process to enable the GNU GRUB boot menu (if it does not show)

I do get this Grub menu on my  system.

3.Press ESC at the GNU GRUB prompt.

This didn't do anything (that I could tell) on my system.

5.Use the Arrow keys to highlight the line that begins with kernel and press the e key.

I don't have a line that begins with kernel.

Sorry, but after carefully scrutinizing the screen (twice,) I didn't see this line, so I stopped following the steps you've given me...  Call me chicken, but I was afraid that I would accidently break something.

I think you're forgetting that I'm very new to Linux.  In contrast you seemed to be a seasoned Linux user.

When I first installed LM, I vowed to switch to it and ditch Windows.  But, I decided to wait when I ran into a few roadblocks. (my printer and MS Office)

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:32 PM

And one of the comments from a dude in China said he deleted keyring (???) I didn't know anything about that so, I ignored his comment.

If you want to try it, boot up to the shell you were at, and run this command, swapping yourusername for your user name:
mv /home/yourusername/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring /home/yourusername/login.keyring.old
This will move the login.keyring file (so that your system doesn't see it) to your home directory, and rename it as login.keyring.old.

If necessary, you can just as easily move it back to its original location with its original name.

OTOH if this works, and you are able to log in successfully, just delete the file you'll see in your home directory called login.keyring.old

Personally I'm not that hopeful, but it might be worth a try.

#10 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

My Apologies, i am a seasoned linux user, many variants. and your kernel isn't in the list???!

(The kernel is the OS, BASICALLY)

it should say something like "Linux Mint 17.2 on /dev/sda1 if that is not there your installation is most likely broken.

and yes, sudo is a terminal command it means SuperUserDO

as for the office thing, try WPS Suite or OpenOffice, both work on most *Nix Distros.

If i remember correctly Versions 17 and 17.2 had those very issues with logging in which is why they came out with Rosa(17.3) and later 18. if you can, try to update your OS from single user mode. (Don't quote me on that)

In terminal type in (with out without sudo, it will let you know) sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get do-release-upgrade  OR  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

single user mode allows you to start your OS without the GUI to change some settings (graphical User Interface)you can enter single user mode by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 (at the login screen, if you cant get there don't worry about it.)

I hope ANY of this helps, you may just have to reinstall(which sucks) (and i recommend a more updated version)

Edited by Viper_Security, 11 July 2016 - 05:44 PM.

hQBT2G3.png

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Just to clear up a small bit of confusion here:

Viper_Security, you said "line beginning with kernel," after pressing "e" at the grub menu.

You weren't talking about his "kernel" not being listed in the grub boot menu, in post #3.

Edited by Al1000, 11 July 2016 - 06:48 PM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

Heres a tutorial on how to reset password with pics

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576134/how-to-reset-lost-root-password-in-ubuntu-1404/

#13 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

Just to clear up a small bit of confusion here:

Viper_Security, you said "line beginning with kernel," after pressing "e" at the grub menu.

You weren't talking about his "kernel" not being listed in the grub boot menu, in post #3.

then i shall unfollow, thank you and enjoy your day.

hQBT2G3.png

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

PieLam.....do you see something similar to the image in the link below during bootup? I only use Ubuntu...but if Mint has similar and you

click on Advanced options you may see an older image that you can revert to. I've done that a couple of times in Ubuntu over the years when I experience 

a problem. I don't lose installed programs and settings doing that.

How to Fix an Ubuntu System When It Won’t Boot

Are you a Memphis native? Been to Beale Street lately? As you can see I'm in West Tennessee, too.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

Al1000, on 11 Jul 2016 - 5:32 PM, said:

mv /home/yourusername/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring /home/yourusername/login.keyring.old

After entering this command at the (none) / # prompt, I received an error:

"mv: cannot stat '/home/pie/.local/share/keyrings/login.keyring' : No such file or directory"

??? 'cannot stat?'  I understand most of that, but not 'cannot stat', can you shed some light on this?

JIC, I did use my username for /yourusername/ which is 'pie'.

Personally I'm not that hopeful, but it might be worth a try.

I agree,  Always worth a try!  :)

BTW, in trying to figure out why I got the above error, I typed 'ls' at the root(?) [/=root?] which listed several items including 'bin'.  I then  typed 'cd bin'.  The prompt changed from (none) / # to (none) bin # .  I then typed 'ls' again to try & verify the existence of 'login'.  When I typed 'ls' this time, I got a big screenful of filenames (only got the last half of this screen) with differing colors. I did verify the existence of 'login'. Most of the filenames were green, but there were also some cyan ones.  Both the green ones & the cyan ones had a normal black background, but a few entries had a red BG with grey or light white text.

What do all these colors mean?

Is there a pause switch for the 'ls' command like the DOS & Win's /p?
One more question, when I tried to 'cd login' (I'm assuming that this means change to the login folder) I got an error that read: "bash: cd: login: Not a directory"

I'm really confused now!

PS (just an FIY)
I was going to ask you if '/.login/' was a mistake till I learned that the dot means a hidden file....   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users