Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Database Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 simonplus

simonplus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hello there,

I work for a small business and we are trying to collect and organize the data we generate on a daily basis in a more orderly fashion to facilitate data analyses.

Specifically, we use some in-house built excel models to record our transactions (sales, deposits for future transactions, sales on credit, etc.)  and would like to link these models to a database. These Excel models are replaced at the end of each week, therefore our data is currently collected and recorded per week.

What database software would you recommend me to use/buy?

Sorry if I am not being very specific but I am a novel to this type of technology and trying to collect some information to pass on to my superiors.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,

SZ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

Since you are already using Excel, the logical first option to consider would be Microsoft Access. And if you are paying for an Office 365 subscription, then you might already have access to Access (pun intended). Beyond that, I am currently not that much help with Access as I have never used it much other than some brief "playing with it". I had started to read a book on it, but that got put on the side burner a while ago.

Another option that I have used in the past that still exists is Filemaker. It has been a LONG time since I used it, however.

More advanced options would be to use SQL database software, something that I know virtually nothing about (other than Access can interface with SQL databases...I would assume that Filemaker can do so as well).

To really be able to say if either Access or Filemaker would work for you, more information would need to be known about what you want to do. I have to believe that either would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users