Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Outage Followed by a host of BSOD errors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shafter99

Shafter99

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hi, there! So there was a power outage for about two hours last night and I was just browsing on espn.com when it went out. When power was restored, after checking the breakers and surge protectors, I flipped my PC back on and it loaded initially, booting fully up and into Windows 10. When I opened Firefox I immediately got a BSOD and my system restarted. Since then my pc will load up windows to varying points before hitting me with another BSOD, sometimes it will let me into my desktop briefly before crashing and others it will give me another BSOD midway through loading or at the startup screen. I can use safe mode for an hour or so with hit or miss results and safe mode with networking less so. I was able to run a memtest and it came back okay, but other than that and verifying that my hard drives are healthy, I haven't been able to make much headway. The BSODs I receive are as follows and occur in no discernible pattern that I can recognize:

Page Fault in Non Paged Area

Kmode Exception Not Handled

System Thread Exception Not Handled

Kernel Security Check Failure

Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

System Service Exception

Driver Overran Stack Buffer

Interrupt Exception Not Handled

DPC WatchDog Violation

and one more that is something along the lines of 00000021

I really have no idea where to start here, guys; so please, any help would be greatly appreciated! I work and attend online classes w/that PC, so I'm pretty desperate to get it fixed! Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

Power outages are usually accompanied by power surges.

Surges can come through the electrical wiring, the network wiring, or telephone wiring.
I had a system that the 56k modem was fried through the ethernet - even though nothing was plugged into the 56k modem.

EDIT:  And I had a good surge protector on the power inputs (computer and monitor).

Random BSOD's also are frequently seen as a hardware problems.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Edited by usasma, 13 July 2016 - 06:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Shafter99

Shafter99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks so much for your help with this! I'm currently still running memtest 86 and found that one of my sticks was bad. I'm in the process of running the first successful stick through the other mobo ports. Both of my hard drives passed the SeaTools bootable tests. Hopefully once I'm through the memtesting I'll be able to boot up to my desktop long enough to install synsative BSOD dump correctly. I actually did have one question: As I'm switching from port to port on my mobo, the Memory SPD Informations does not change, but in the section above it; there are differences. The port the ram is currently inserted into is different than the other two. Ram speed is lower as are the CAS Timings. Is that a problem, is the test just running differently for that port or is there an issue w/that particular motherboard port? RAM is listed at 368 MHz (DDR3-736) and the CAS is 4-5-5-15 @ 64-bit mode. Thanks again for all of your help!

#4 Shafter99

Shafter99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:01 PM

Just a pic I took w/my phone for clarity, so you knew specifically what I was talking about.

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

The stuff at the top isn't important for the tests that I suggest.  I'm more interested in pass/fail than I am in performance

While it may be important for other things (such as dual-channel, etc which will affect your performance) - I'm not familiar enough to advise about that.  Also, check it once you get all the RAM back in and see if the numbers are what you expect them to be (for example, some systems work better with 2 sticks than with one stick).

I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for more detailed info on RAM:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users