Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS: Primary IDE Master [Not Detected]

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nullstate00

nullstate00

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

Firstly, if this is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

I'm rebuilding an old system for some very minimal use. When I got it had everything except drives (no HDD, no DVD, nothing), so I picked up a cheap HDD, pulled a DVD out of my current box (so I could get an OS on it) and started it up. Dead CMOS battery. Okay, easily fixed. Start loading Windows 7 but then see it can't find my hard drive.

Next step, check the bios. As the thread title says it seems it isn't being detected. That is only on the main page of the bios though. If I go to the Boot page, under Boot device priority its there, listed as the 2nd device, right after [Removable Dev.] and before the DVD drive. Also just to note the DVD drive does appear on the bios main page as the Third IDE Master.

I've placed the hard drive in another computer, it was detected and formatted.

The system has an ASUS P5LD2 motherboard. The bios is American Megatrends v02.53. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar SE (WD2500JB).

If you need any other info let me know. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:00 PM

Have you checked the IDE cables? Is the DVD drive on the same IDE cable as the hard drive?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:19 PM

Edit:  Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Is the jumper set to Master?

The boot order for installing the operating system from a optical drive should be the optical drive as the first device, the hdd the second device.  

Edited by dc3, 11 July 2016 - 01:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 nullstate00

nullstate00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 03:38 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the swift response.

I've checked the cables. I used the same cable to connect the HD to another PC, and it worked fine.

The DVD is a SATA, so it's on another cable.

The jumper is set to master.

The OS installer does load, but I'll try changing the boot order and report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users