Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you protect your Mac?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 VincePolston

VincePolston

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:44 AM

Just read on the Sophos security blog about the new Eleanor-a malware. Nasty stuff. I've previously just run my mac without any security programs and just used common sense. What do you all use to protect your Mac?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

I've previously just run my mac without any security programs and just used common sense. What do you all use to protect your Mac?

Same as you.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Personally, I run VirusBarrier by Intego.

Edit: I should note that I also have Malwarebytes installed, but since it is a pure "on demand" scanner, VirusBarrier is my main program.

Edited by smax013, 14 July 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#4 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 02:05 PM

I, and a client, had a good experience with Malwarebytes. Active scanner, not passive, so the free version.

Edited by Gorbulan, 13 July 2016 - 02:05 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

I, and a client, had a good experience with Malwarebytes. Active scanner, not passive, so the free version.

To my knowledge, Malwarebytes does not offer an active scanner for the Mac...either free or paid. It is purely an "on demand" scanner.

From what I recall, the Windows version does have an active scanner, but is in the paid version (you get a free "trail" of the paid version for a period of time, 30 days I believe, when you first install the free version).

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:17 AM

To my knowledge, Malwarebytes does not offer an active scanner for the Mac...either free or paid. It is purely an "on demand" scanner.

From what I recall, the Windows version does have an active scanner, but is in the paid version (you get a free "trail" of the paid version for a period of time, 30 days I believe, when you first install the free version).

When I say "active" it means one must activate the scan. "Passive" means it happens automatically.

#7 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 696 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

When I say "active" it means one must activate the scan. "Passive" means it happens automatically.

Hmmmm I never thought of it that way - thanks for clarifying.

#8 Ethan_PCG

Ethan_PCG

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

Use CCleaner or AVG which are both free antiviruses. 

"I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure out how to use my telephone."
- Bjarne Stroustrup

#9 VincePolston

VincePolston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 08:21 AM

Yeah I use Malwarebytes on PC and the passive scanner is incredible (and worth the money). Too bad they don't have the same for OSX. Maybe someday. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

Use CCleaner or AVG which are both free antiviruses. 

CCleaner is not an antivirus product.

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:29 PM

Neither have I. I have always seen "active" used to describe the real-time scanner as it is active all that time, while "passive" referred to the on-demand scanner as it was passive until you actually ran the program and then ran the scan.

#12 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Neither have I. I have always seen "active" used to describe the real-time scanner as it is active all that time, while "passive" referred to the on-demand scanner as it was passive until you actually ran the program and then ran the scan.

I feel that would contradict their actual meanings. Passive means "no resistance" as in, it just happens. Active implies doing something in particular. Active aggression versus being passive aggressive.

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:47 AM

I feel that would contradict their actual meanings. Passive means "no resistance" as in, it just happens. Active implies doing something in particular. Active aggression versus being passive aggressive.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.

You seem to be thinking of active/passive as describing what the user is with regard to the program...i.e. the user has to be active to run the on-demand scanner vs. being passive because the real-time scanner runs all the time.

I am thinking of active/passive as describing the scanner itself...i.e. a real-time scanner is always active in the computer's memory vs. the on-demand scanner is passive until the user activates it.

#14 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Active = The AV will execute during startup and his processes running in the background all time.

passive = need user interaction. No processes running in the background. Connect only for updates if the AV executed by the user.

I've previously just run my mac without any security programs

This is the right way, but you're wrong that the System has no Security see Gatekeeper, XProtect and Sandbox. This are part of macOS.

You don't need any AV on macOS or Linux because this systems interact with different privileges on different levels on the system. An Trojan, Backdoor cannot compromise the System without user interactivity. Software form AppStore are signed and running in the Sandbox on user account. The only way to give trojans/backdoors root privileges is if you install third party Software from suspicious sites.

Symptoms like Slow down, freezes and so on are often happens with installed Antivirus (you should  refrain from think like a windows user). And of course some applications that can cause such problems too. But this is another story. So if you think you are compromised you can check your system with some simple Terminal commands or ask here and apple community to solve your problem (most of these problems are misconfigurations and has nothing to do with malware).

As you have read in the press the Elenor Trojan could only be installed from third party applications from the download site MacUpdate. The API from that site was compromised so the Attacker was able to access parts of the Server to do this. This site and many other download sites packetized Software with Adware variants like Search Tools, ads and faked software like Mackeeper. Avoid such sites and you're on the right way.

#15 ProTruckDriver

ProTruckDriver

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Symptoms like Slow down, freezes and so on are often happens with installed Antivirus (you should  refrain from think like a windows user).

That's hard to do after being a Windows user all my life. I just purchased my first Apple Computer about 3 months ago, OS X El Capitan, Retina 5K, 27" (I love it). I felt naked without AV on the computer. I run Webroot on my PC's and also added it to my Mac. No slow downs / freezes no problems what so ever. I don't feel naked anymore. Maybe I have to get use to running feeling naked with the Mac. :wink: 

 Late 2015 5K 27" Mac, 4GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB Fusion Drive, macOS High Sierra, 10.13.5 
iMac Clone and Backup with SuperDuperTime Machine & iCloud
How much do you know about distracted driving? W82TXT 
clear.pngWhen Driving: "Get Your Head Out Of Your Apps." clear.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users