Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sophos virus removal tool new install says expired download the latest version

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 witchswan

witchswan

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:52 AM

I've been using the free version of Sophos Virus removal tool weekly for years.  Yesterday it reported being out of date.  So I uninstalled it after downloading the latest version from the link in the expired notification.  Restarted the computer and installed the latest version.  When I start it it reports the tool is expired and to download the latest version.  Tried twice, then gave up.  File version is 2.5.5.0 Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

v5 is the most current version of the tool so I'm not sure why it keeps prompting you to update.

Sophos says on their overview page that if you need assistance of have questions, to ask at the Tools Forum but you need to register as a member first.

If you need an alternative, you can try the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:39 PM

Thanks for the links.  Last night I tried to login to my Sophos account, but their system refused my password.  This morning it was accepted so I posted in the forum for help.  Others there are having slightly different problems with the tool being told their internet connection is not working, or the updates do not download.  Seems to be related. 

I scan once a week with Malwarebytes and Sophos, just to be certain the system is clean.  MSE runs daily.  People say I'm overly cautious, but we can never be too careful.  Right?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

I see no problem with a daily MSE Quick scan...always best to err on the side of caution.

#5 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 11:23 AM

Someone posted a solution in another thread on the same subject in the Sophos help forum for the Free Tools, so I'm posting it here in case someone else has the same problem.  It was a Microsoft snafu.  Bookmarked the Fix-it just in case I ever need it again in the future.

Hi.

I was having same issue. If you still have the latest version installed you could try downloading Microsoft Fix-it and use this to uninstall Sophos.  A tip I got from Sophos.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

After running the uninstall I suggest rebooting Computer.

Next try running the Sophos install again, and finally when it's finished install, reboot the PC (don't try to open Sophos before rebooting).

With luck on re-boot you will find it now works.  Not sure why this worked for me but it's worth a try - I've been trying to solve problem for a few days, but it's the first time I tried the reboot after installation.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

Sounds like a lot of extra work just to get it to work but for those adamant about using the Sophos tool, it's worth a try.

#7 witchswan

witchswan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 04:49 PM

It really didn't take too long at all, less than 5 minutes start to finish.  The Fix-it deleted the program, and found some corrupted OS files and fixed them.  I already had the download waiting to be installed so it was worth the time to see if it worked. 

Once again thanks for reminding me about the help forum, I'd still be stuck with it not working if I hadn't posted there.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

You're welcome.