Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Mode won't make Windows start

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DistressedIdiot

DistressedIdiot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

First off, I'm using an extremely ancient Optiplex 755 while waiting to get enough money to fix another computer of mine. I accidentally get some adware, and I was told to boot to safe mode. This was a mistake. Now it goes through the booting process, but when I should be at my login it's just black. Seeing on Google, this seems to be a common problem, but my backups are very out of date and I have no idea to work this old piece of junk. Somebody help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

See this post. I doubt you have SecureBoot on this computer so no need to worry about that. Editing the registry offline to put it back into normal mode may work but I can't promise anything. Good Luck

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:15 AM

If you have Windows 8.1 installed there is the option to create a installation disc using the Windows Media Creation Tool.  Once you have created the installation disc you can use the Repair option and use the Startup Repair option in the System Recovery Options.

Click on the link for the Media Creation Tool and follow the instructions.  You can use this to create either a disc or flash drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

To start your computer with Safe Mode follow the instructions at belwo website link.

5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81

Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:42 AM

@FreeBooter

The OP has a black screen when they try to boot into Windows.  They will not be able to enable Safe Mode.

Edited by dc3, 13 July 2016 - 07:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2016 - 08:07 PM

OP do you see mouse pointer what happens when you press Ctrl + Alt + Del keys together?  

Blank desktop with mouse cursor is a sign that Windows Explorer, namely explorer.exe, did not start properly.

Repair Windows Explorer not Starting During Login into Windows O/S

Posted Image

#7 DistressedIdiot

DistressedIdiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:50 PM

@FreeBooter

No the mouse cursor does not appear. I will try and see if what you say about Internet explorer works, but the thing is I disabled Internet Explorer after downloading Chrome and it worked fine after that. Would you think that would still work?
@FreeBooter

Also ctrl alt delete does nothing

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:56 PM

Not Internet Explorer its Windows File Explorer but looks like your issue is not File Explorer not working.

Do you have Windows Setup DVD?

Posted Image

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 08:12 AM

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

If you need the product code for this installation (you usually will not) you can use Speccy to find it.

How to find your Windows product code with the Speccy Snapshot

Please download and install Speccy to find your Windows product code.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

speccy1_zpsrueynimp.png

Under Summary click on Operating System.

speccy2_zpsxmwtld56.png

The product code is listed as Serial Number:.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

Hi DistressedIdiot,

Sorry for the question you may have explained this question but i just want to be sure does boot issue only happens with Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking and Safe Mode with Command Prompt can you boot into Windows normally.

Posted Image

#11 DistressedIdiot

DistressedIdiot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:22 PM

I do have a repair disk but I haven't had the time to get to it. I'm currently having a froend o mine who is better at technology than me help me through the process, so I will report if I need more help. Thank you.

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Good luck!

Posted Image

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2016 - 11:13 PM

Tweaking.com - Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool and run the Tweaking.com - Windows Repair Tool from Safe Mode With Networking and  from Repairs tab click Open Repairs button. From opened Repairs window place check mark for  Reset Registry Permissions, Reset Service Permissions, Register System Files, Repair WMI, Repair Network, Repair Windows Firewall, Remove Policies Set By Infections, Repair Proxy Settings, Repair Windows Updates, Repair MSI (Windows Installer), Restore Important Windows Services, Set Windows Services To Default Startup, Repair Windows 8/10 Component Store, Restore Windows 8/10 COM+ Unmarshalers, Restore UAC (User Account Control) Settings, Repair Hosts File, Repair Performance Counters, Repair Volume Shadow Copy Service, Repair MDAC & MS Jet, Repair Windows Safe Mode and Reset File Permissions check boxes and click Start Repair button.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users